Time: 12:30 p.m.
Location: Virtual Meeting
1. CALL TO ORDER
Mi’kmaq Land Acknowledgment
2. COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS
3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – July 9, 2020
4. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND DELETIONS
5. BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF THE MINUTES
6. CALL FOR DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
7. CONSIDERATION OF DEFERRED BUSINESS
8. CORRESPONDENCE, PETITIONS & DELEGATIONS
9. INFORMATION ITEMS BROUGHT FORWARD – NONE
10.1.1 HRM Wortley Report Recommendations – Update
• Community Engagement
• Data Collection
• Street Check Ban
• Extension for Data Access
10.1.2 Community Survey – Update
10.1.3 RCMP Request for Additional Resource
10.1.5 Recruitment Policies and Processes for New Recruits
10.2 MEMBERS OF BOARD OF POLICE COMMISSIONERS
10.2.1 Defunding the Police – Discussion
10.2.3 Nova Scotia Policing Policy Working Group
10.2.4 Halifax Regional Council’s Motion of Rescission Regarding the Armoured Rescue Vehicle
• BOPC Responsibility for Police Capital Budget Items
10.2.5 Commissioner Mancini – Body Worn Video Pilot Project [PDF]
That the Halifax Board of Police Commissioners requests a report detailing the feasibility of a body worn video pilot program for Halifax Regional Police and Halifax District RCMP patrol officers that addresses costs, benefits, and technological requirements.
10.2.6 Commissioner Mancini – Traffic Enforcement During State of Emergency [PDF]
That the Halifax Board of Police Commissioners requests an update detailing the status of traffic enforcement and community policing during COVID-19 and how Councillors should be directing traffic related complaints.
10.2.7 Commissioner Mancini – Wortley Report Update [PDF]
That the Halifax Board of Police Commissioners requests that Chief Kinsella and Chief Superintendent Gray provide a written update that details the status of the Wortley Report recommendations including plan, action steps, and progress at each meeting of the Board of Police Commissioners and provide a detailed quarterly update to Halifax Regional Council.
10.2.8 Commissioner Blackburn – Public Access to HRP Policies via Website [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Police make available to the public, via the website, their policies including but not limited to: information on Conduct of Service Members, Conflict of Interest, Complaints and Use of Force policies.
10.2.9 Commissioner Smith – Independent Opinion on Legal Council for Board of Police Commissioners [PDF]
That the Halifax Board of Police Commissioners seek an independent opinion to determine if the Board of Police Commissioners should or shouldn’t have its own legal counsel separate from HRM and HRP. The opinion should include:
1. If the Police Act or the Board of Police Commission’s Policy Manual allows the Board to seek independent legal counsel;
2. If the current legal counsel arrangement provided by HRM could present as a conflict of interest; and,
3. How the board could receive on-going counsel for Commission meetings and any other responsibilities of the Board.
10.3 COMMISSIONER UPDATES
10.3.1 Management Employee Relations Committee – Update
10.3.2 Canadian Association of Police Governance Board – Update
10.3.3 Nova Scotia Association of Police Governance Board – Update
10.4 HRP/RCMP CHIEF UPDATES
11. ADDED ITEMS
12. ITEMS FOR FUTURE CONSIDERATION
13. IN CAMERA (In Private)
The Board of Police Commissioners may rise and go into a private In Camera (In Private) session, in accordance with Section 51 of the Nova Scotia Police Act for the purposes of dealing with the following:
13.1 Approval of In Camera (In Private) Minutes – July 9, 2020
That the Board of Police Commissioners approve the July 9, 2020 In Camera (In Private) minutes as presented.
13.2 Personnel Matter – Private and Confidential Update
A matter pertaining to an identifiable individual or group.
Private and Confidential Information Items:
1. Correspondence dated May 8 & 11, 2020
2. Correspondence dated April 11, 2020
14. NOTICES OF MOTION
15. DATE OF NEXT MEETING – August 17, 2020
INFORMATION ITEMS – NONE