Time: 12:00 p.m.
Location: Virtual Meeting
1. CALL TO ORDER
Mi’kmaq Land Acknowledgment
2. COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS
3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – March 9 and May 11, 14, & 25, 2020
4. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND DELETIONS
5. BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF THE MINUTES
5.1 Follow-Up with FOIPOP Office
6. CALL FOR DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
7. CONSIDERATION OF DEFERRED BUSINESS
8. CORRESPONDENCE, PETITIONS & DELEGATIONS
9. INFORMATION ITEMS BROUGHT FORWARD – NONE
10.1.1 Defunding the Police – Presentation from the Office of Public Safety
• Overview of Current HRM Public Safety Programs
• UN Safe Cities
- Presentation [PDF]
That the Halifax Board of Police Commissioners adopt a definition of defunding the police that supports a role for policing in HRM that includes:
• Police performing policing functions
• Appropriate resources to perform non-police functions
• Investment in resources that have been proven to support community risks and promote crime prevention.
10.1.2 HRM Wortley Report Recommendations – Update
• Community Engagement
• Data Collection
• Street Check Ban
• Extension for Data Access
10.1.3 2020 BOPC Work Plan – Update [PDF]
10.1.4 Nova Scotia Policing Policy Working Group
10.1.5 Community Survey – Update
10.1.6 RCMP Request for Additional Resource
10.1.7 Halifax Regional Council’s Motion of Rescission Regarding the Armoured Rescue Vehicle
• BOPC Responsibility for Police Capital Budget Items
10.1.8 Memorandum of Understanding between BOPC, HRM, & RCMP [PDF]
10.2 MEMBERS OF BOARD OF POLICE COMMISSIONERS
10.2.1 Commissioner Mancini – Body Worn Video Pilot Project [PDF]
That the Halifax Board of Police Commissioners requests a report detailing the feasibility of a body worn video pilot program for Halifax Regional Police and Halifax District RCMP patrol officers that addresses costs, benefits, and technological requirements.
10.2.2 Commissioner Mancini – Traffic Enforcement During State of Emergency [PDF]
That the Halifax Board of Police Commissioners requests an update detailing the status of traffic enforcement and community policing during COVID-19 and how Councillors should be directing traffic related complaints.
10.2.3 Commissioner Mancini – Wortley Report Update [PDF]
That the Halifax Board of Police Commissioners requests that Chief Kinsella and Chief Superintendent Gray provide a written update that details the status of the Wortley Report recommendations including plan, action steps, and progress at each meeting of the Board of Police Commissioners and provide a detailed quarterly update to Halifax Regional Council.
10.2.4 Commissioner Blackburn – Public Access to HRP Policies via Website [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Police make available to the public, via the website, their policies including but not limited to: information on Conduct of Service Members, Conflict of Interest, Complaints and Use of Force policies.
11. ADDED ITEMS
11.1 Commissioner Smith - Independent Opinion on Legal Council for Board of Police Commissioners [PDF]
That the Halifax Board of Police Commissioners seek an independent opinion to determine if the Board of Police Commissioners should or shouldn’t have its own legal counsel separate from HRM and HRP. The opinion should include:
1. If the Police Act or the Board of Police Commission’s Policy Manual allows the Board to seek independent legal counsel;
2. If the current legal counsel arrangement provided by HRM could present as a conflict of interest; and,
3. How the board could receive on-going counsel for Commission meetings and any other responsibilities of the Board.
12. ITEMS FOR FUTURE CONSIDERATION
13. IN CAMERA (In Private)
The Board of Police Commissioners may rise and go into a private In Camera (In Private) session, in accordance with Section 51 of the Nova Scotia Police Act for the purposes of dealing with the following;
13.1 Approval of In Camera (In Private) Minutes – March 9, 2020
That the Board of Police Commissioners approve the March 9, 2020 In Camera (In Private) minutes as presented.
13.2 Personnel Matter - Private and Confidential
A matter pertaining to an identifiable individual or group.
Private and Confidential Information Items:
1. Correspondence dated May 8 & 11, 2020
14. NOTICES OF MOTION
15. DATE OF NEXT MEETING – July 20, 2020
1. Letters to Commissioner Borden from Sheila Wildeman, Co-Vice Chair of the East Coast Prison Justice Society, re: Mitigation of COVID-19 Effects dated March 17 and March 26, 2020 [PDF]
2. Letters from Commissioner Borden to Sheila Wildeman, Co-Vice Chair of the East Coast Prison Justice Society, re: Mitigation of COVID-19 Effects dated March 24 and April 7, 2020 [PDF]