1. CALL TO ORDER
1.1 Presentation to Chief Jean-Michel Blais
2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – April 15, 2019
3. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND DELETIONS
4. BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF THE MINUTES
5. CALL FOR DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
6. CONSIDERATION OF DEFERRED BUSINESS
7. CORRESPONDENCE, PETITIONS & DELEGATIONS
7.1.1 Recommendation to Suspend Street Checks and Joint Apology – Board of Police Commissioners [PDF]
- Halifax Regional Police Response [PDF]
- RCMP, Halifax District Response [PDF]
8. INFORMATION ITEMS BROUGHT FORWARD - NONE
9.1.1 HRM Police Services Review – Update
9.2 MEMBERS OF BOARD OF POLICE COMMISSIONERS
9.2.1 Wortley Report – Update
9.2.2 Police Services Data Retention Policy
That the Board of Police Commissioners request that staff prepare a report for the next regular meeting of the Board of Police Commissioners detailing the intended steps for retention and removal of street check records currently held in the Versadex system, indicating:
- an appropriate timeline for retention and removal of records;
- which police staff will have access to existing street check records;
- whether, if and how anonymous data from the street check records will be maintained after removal from the records management system; and
- how members of the public can request access to street check records pertaining to them prior to removal from the records management system.
9.2.3 Request for Amendments for Police Complaints under the Police Act
That the Board of Police Commissioners request the Province of Nova Scotia Minister of Justice to change the Police Regulations made under subsection 97(1) of the Police Act
"Complaint made more than 6 months after occurrence
29 If a complaint is made more than 6 months after the date of the occurrence that gave rise to the complaint, the complaint must not be processed."
to align and be consistent with the longer national RCMP limitations period for police complaints."
9.3 COMMISSIONER UPDATES
9.3.1 Management Employee Relations Committee
9.3.2 Canadian Association of Police Governance Board
9.3.3 Nova Scotia Association of Police Governance Board
9.3.4 Canadian Association of Police Governance Annual Conference Calgary, August 8-11, 2019
9.3.5 Board of Police Commissioners’ Annual Work Plan
9.3.6 Board of Police Commissioners’ Annual Report to Regional Council
9.4 HRP/RCMP CHIEF UPDATES
10. ADDED ITEMS
10.1 Legality of Street Checks
That the Board of Police Commissioners request from the Nova Scotia Human Rights Commission any legal opinion concerning the legality of street checks as outlined in recommendation 2.1 of the Wortley Report on Street Checks.
11. IN CAMERA (In Private)
The Board of Police Commissioners may rise and go into a private In Camera (In Private) session, in accordance with Section 51 of the Nova Scotia Police Act for the purposes of dealing with the following;
11.1 Personnel Matter
A matter pertaining to an identifiable individual or group.
That the Board of Police Commissioners convene In Camera (In Private) to discuss the matter.
12. ITEMS FOR FUTURE BOARD CONSIDERATION
13. NOTICES OF MOTION
14. DATE OF NEXT MEETINGS
• June 17, 2019
• July 17, 2019
1. HRM Policing Services 2019 Statistical Overview 1st Quarter [PDF]
2. Review of External Board Competencies - Board of Police Commissioners [PDF]
3. Information Memo - Armoured Rescue Vehicle (ARV) [PDF]
For further information regarding this meeting, please contact
David Perusse, Legislative Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 902-490-6732.