Name: Respecting the licencing of transient traders in the City of Dartmouth
BY-LAW T - 700
Being a by-law of the City of Dartmouth with respect to the licencing of transient traders in the City of Dartmouth.
The Council of the City of Dartmouth enacts as follows:
1. In this by-law:
(a) "Business or Trade" means and includes the carrying on for profit and the offering to the public by sale, auction or otherwise, any goods, wares, merchandise or services.
(b) "Transient Salesman" means a person who carries on sales from a hotel room, lodging house, private home, or other place who are not assessed for business realty or business occupancy tax.
2. No person shall conduct the business or trade of a transient salesman in the City of Dartmouth without having a valid licence pursuant to this by-law.
3. This by-law shall not apply to a person who is assessed a business occupancy tax in the City of Dartmouth.
4. (1) Every licence granted under this by-law shall specify the particular business or trade which the person obtaining the licence is authorized to carry on.
(2) A licence granted under this by-law shall be issued to a particular person, and shall not be transferable.
(3) An annual licence issued under the authority of this by-law shall expire on the 31st day of December unless otherwise specified on the licence.
(4) Every applicant for a licence pursuant to this by-law shall comply with all other applicable legislation, including, without restricting the generality of the foregoing, the City's Land Use By-law.
5. (1) The City of Dartmouth Licence Inspector is authorized and empowered to grant or refuse any application for a licence under this by-law.
(2) A licence granted under this by-law may be revoked by the Licence Inspector for violation of the terms of this by-law.
6. (1) The licence Inspector shall keep a record of all licences granted under this by-law, setting out the name of the person to whom the licence is issued, the particular business or trade authorized by the licence and the expiry date of the licence.
(2) Every licence issued under this by-law shall bear a number and the number of the licence shall be included in the records of the Licence Inspector.
7. The fee for a licence pursuant to this by-law is $100.00 per day or $500.00 per year.
8. A person who violates or fails to comply with any provision of this by-law shall be guilty of an offence and, upon summary conviction, shall be liable to a fine of not more than Two Thousand Dollars and in default of payment, to imprisonment for a period not exceeding sixty days.
9. By-law C-502 is hereby repealed.
Done and passed in Council this day of A.D. 19