How do I appeal an Order to Remedy?

Receive an Order to Remedy you don’t agree with?

The property owner has the right to appeal an Order to Remedy by filing with the Municipal Clerk’s Office within 7 days of it being issued. The appeal will be heard at the Appeals Standing Committee.

How do I appeal?

If you wish to appeal an Order, complete one of the below forms and submit it to the Municipal Clerk’s Office. You will receive a letter via registered mail scheduling your appeal. After submitting your appeal, you may also contact the Compliance Officer advising you have appealed the order. 
• Order to Remedy Dangerous or Unsightly Premises [PDF]
• Order to Remedy Residential Occupancy Conditions (By-law M-200) [PDF]
• By-law T-1000 Taxis and Limousines  [PDF]
• Other [PDF]

By Mail: Office of the Municipal Clerk
               P.O. Box 1749
               Halifax, NS B3J 3A5

By Fax: 902-490-4208

By Email:

In person: City Hall, 1841 Argyle Street, Halifax (Mon-Fri, 8:30am-4:30pm)

What happens if I don’t appeal and I don’t comply with the Order?

If you choose not to appeal and you have not completed the work when the Order expires, Halifax Regional Municipality has the right to enter the property and complete the work.  Once the work has been completed, an invoice will be issued to the property owner for the cost of the remedy.