The Appeals Standing Committee hears appeals of decisions taken by staff, where permitted under legislation. The Committee also considers demolition orders as brought forward by staff under the dangerous and unsightly process of the Halifax Regional Municipality Charter.
The Appeals Standing Committee normally meets on the second Thursday of each month, at 10:00 a.m. Meetings are held subject to appeals being brought forward. Meeting dates and times are subject to change. Check the calendar below, and the agenda (once available) to confirm the exact date and time for each meeting.
You can use one of the forms below to assist you in making your appeal. If you choose not to use one of the forms, your appeal must still be in writing and should include:
- case number (if applicable)
- your name and mailing address
- reason you are appealing
All forms are in PDF format.
- Order to Remedy Dangerous or Unsightly Premises
- Order to Remedy Residential Occupancy Conditions (By-law M-200)
Appeals are to be sent to the Office of the Municipal Clerk at email@example.com
If filing an appeal, be advised that your submission and appeal documents will form part of the public record, and will be posted on-line at www.halifax.ca. If you feel that information you consider to be personal is necessary for your appeal, please attach that as a separate document, clearly marked “PERSONAL”. It will be provided to the committee and/or council members and staff, and will form part of the public record, but it will not be posted on-line. You will be contacted if there are any concerns.
Appeals Standing Committee Meetings
Membership of the Appeals Standing Committee
• Chair - Councillor David Hendsbee - District 2 - Preston - Chezzetcook - Eastern Shore
• Vice Chair - Deputy Mayor Pam Lovelace - District 13 - Hammonds Plains - St. Margarets
• Councillor Becky Kent - District 3 - Dartmouth South - Eastern Passage
• Councillor Patty Cuttell - District 11 - Spryfield - Sambro Loop - Prospect Road
• Councillor Iona Stoddard - District 12 - Timberlea - Beechville - Clayton Park - Wedgewood
• Councillor Lisa Blackburn - District 14 - Middle/Upper Sackville - Beaver Bank - Lucasville
Staff contact for the Appeals Standing Committee: