Standing Committees have been approved to return for in-person meetings, with the first in-person meeting happening September 10, 2020. Please note that some meetings may still be held through teleconference or virtually. There are limits on the number of in-person attendees in order to adhere to public health directives. Anyone who wishes attend in-person meetings must register in advance by contacting the Clerk’s Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 902.490.4210 no later than 4:30 p.m. the day before the meeting.
New procedures are in place to support public health directives, including:
1. Limits on number of in-person attendees
2. Pre-registration for attendees
3. As space allows, up to two to three residents from the same household can be accommodated when attending the meeting.
4. Mandatory masks during the entire meeting and in all common areas
5. Designated seating within Council Chamber and waiting areas
6. Directional signage in hallways and stairwells
7. Cleaning of shared meeting equipment between users
8. Increased cleaning of high-touch surfaces
9. Staff assistance for attendees
Find out what’s happening at standing committee meetings and learn how you can get involved.
Six or seven members of council sit on each standing committee. The meetings focus on specific topics, which are described in each standing committee’s terms of reference (Schedules 1, 2, 3 and 5, 6, 7 of Administrative Order One [PDF]).
Standing committees were created on October 12, 2010, by motion of Regional Council. Meetings began in January 2011.
You can browse or search for records of standing committee meetings.