How do I register a By-Law Complaint

To register a complaint with By-Law Standards, please call 311.

By-Law Standards can action a complaint about the following:

Cannabis and smoking
Dangerous or Unsightly Properties
Noise complaints (8:30-4:30 M-F)
Curbside solid waste
Illegal Dumping
Temporary Sign Complaints
Vending on HRM property
Throwing snow into the street
Pesticide complaints
Temporary Signs NOT in the right of way(ROW)
Sidewalk Café complaints
Unsightly Commercial Containers


You may be asked to provide some or all of the following information:
•  your contact information should you wish to provide it
•  the civic address of the property
•  a description of the complaint
•  the time and location of where the incident occurred       

You may also be asked to provide a witness statement and in some circumstances it may be required in order for the Compliance Officer to proceed with an investigation.

All information provided to By-Law Standards is subject to Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy legislation (FOIPOP)  and legal disclosure. During the investigation, your information is kept confidential. However, if the matter proceeds to prosecution, all information relating to the investigation, including the identity of complainants and witnesses must be shared with the defense.