Name: Respecting the Commons
CITY OF HALIFAX
ORDINANCE NUMBER 10
RESPECTING THE COMMONS
1. The Common of Halifax shall be under the control of the Committee on Works, in this Ordinance referred to as the Committee.
Straying animals prohibited
2. No person shall permit any horse, ass, mule, ox, cow, sheep, pig, goat, or goose to go at large upon the Common.
Rubbish removal of soil, booth
3. No person shall:
(a) deposit on the Common any earth, ashes, stone, manure, dead animal, broken glass, empty cans or other rubbish;
(b) dig up the surface of the Common or remove any turf or soil therefrom;
(c) erect any booth, shed or other structure on the Common; except by permission from the Committee and on such terms and conditions as it specifies.
Trees not to be injured
4. No person shall destroy or injure any tree or shrub or any box around any tree, or any fence on the Common.
Driving on Common
5. (1) No person shall drive any wagon, cart, sleigh or other vehicle on any part of the Common other than on the regular roads or streets across the Common without having first obtained the permission of the Committee in writing.
(2) No person shall drive, lead, or ride any horse or other animal, or permit the same to be upon any part of the Common, except upon the bridle path situated thereon, without having first obtained the permission of the Committee in writing.
(3) No person shall pasture any animals upon the Common, without having first obtained the permission of the Committee in writing.
6. Any person who violates any of the provisions of this Ordinance shall, for each offence be liable to a penalty not exceeding twenty dollars and in default of payment to imprisonment for a period not exceeding ten days.
Amended Section l: Approved G.I.C. August 10, 1940
Amended Section 6
Notice of Motion to Introduce: September 30, 1976
First Reading: October 14, 1976
Committee of the Whole Council: November 3, 1976
Second Reading: November 10, 1976
Approval of M.M.A.: December 6, 1976