ORDINANCE NUMBER 140
CITY OF HALIFAX
RESPECTING RESERVATION OF LAND IN SUBDIVISIONS FOR PUBLIC PARKS AND PLAYGROUNDS
BE IT ENACTED by the City Council of the City of Halifax, under the authority of Section 533A of the Halifax City Charter, 1963, as amended, as follows:
1. This Ordinance shall be known as Ordinance Number 140 and may be cited as an "Ordinance Related to Acceptance of Land or Money for Public Use".
2. In this Ordinance:
(a) "City" means the City of Halifax;
(b) "Town Planning Board" means Town Planning Board of the City;
(c) "the land after it has been subdivided" means the new lots created by the residue of the lands owned by the subdivider.
Money in Lieu of Land
3. The Town Planning Board may, on behalf of the City, accept a sum of money from the owner of land being subdivided in lieu of the reservation of land for public use provided for in Section 7 of the Subdivision Regulations made pursuant to Section 27 of the Town Planning Act, being Chapter 308 of the Revised Statutes, 1967. 5%
4. The sum of money accepted pursuant to Section 3 herein shall be five per centum of the assessed value of the land after it has been subdivided.
Money paid prior to Final Approval
5. Where the Town Planning Board accepts money in lieu of land as provided herein, the money shall be paid to the City Treasurer before the subdivision receives final approval.
Separate Account Use
6. Any sums paid to the City Treasurer as provided herein, shall be held by the City in a separate account and shall be used for the purpose of acquiring and developing parks and playgrounds within the City and for no other purpose.
Notice of Motion to Introduce: October 15, 1969
First Reading: October 29, 1969
Committee of the Whole Council: November 5, 1969
Second Reading: November 12, 1969
Approval of M.M.A.: November 24, 1971