Time: 1:00 p.m.
Location: Halifax Hall, 2nd Floor City Hall 1841 Argyle Street, Halifax
Minutes: January 10, 2019 ESSC Minutes (PDF)
Video: January 10, 2019 ESSC Video
1. CALL TO ORDER
2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – December 6, 2018
3. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND
4. BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF THE MINUTES
5. CALL FOR DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
6. MOTIONS OF RECONSIDERATION – NONE
7. MOTIONS OF RESCISSION – NONE
8. CONSIDERATION OF DEFERRED BUSINESS
9. NOTICES OF TABLED MATTERS – NONE
10. CORRESPONDENCE, PETITIONS & DELEGATIONS
10.3 Presentations - None
11. INFORMATION ITEMS BROUGHT FORWARD – NONE
12.1.1 Regional Watersheds Advisory Board Review [PDF]
That the Environment and Sustainability Standing Committee recommend that Halifax Regional Council:
1. Commence the process to dissolve the Regional Watershed Advisory Board by:
a) initiating the process to amend the Regional Municipal Planning Strategy and all applicable municipal planning strategies and land use by-laws referencing the Regional Watersheds Advisory Board and predecessor watershed advisory boards;
b) adopting the public participation program as presented in Attachment 11 of the staff report dated November 21, 2018;
c) directing staff to return to Council to dissolve the Regional Watershed Advisory Board and make the necessary amendments to Administrative Order One at the same time as the adoption of the MPS amendments.
2. Direct staff to enter into discussions with the Centre for Water Resource Studies (Dalhousie University) to provide water resource management expertise at pre-arranged prices, under set terms and conditions, if and when required, in accordance with Section 25.3 of Procurement Administrative Order.
3. Direct staff to prepare an annual report on water resource management for the Environment and Sustainability Standing Committee (including, as appropriate, wetlands protection, riparian buffers, floodplains, coastal inundation and watershed planning).
12.1.2 HRM Park Naturalization Strategy [PDF]
That the Environment and Sustainability Standing Committee recommend that Halifax Regional Council direct staff to advance the naturalization initiatives outlined in the Discussion section of the staff report dated December 14, 2018, including:
a) naturalizing areas within parks and right-of-ways which may be difficult to maintain with lawn cover;
b) naturalizing parks or areas within parks that are comprised of older and underutilized park features and equipment;
c) introducing naturalization in new parks or when undertaking park plans for existing parks;
d) raising public awareness regarding the benefits of naturalization and local projects through HRM’s website and on-site signage;
e) continuing to foster partnerships with stakeholder and community groups to establish naturalization projects; and
f) cataloguing naturalization programs and projects over a 2-year period for monitoring purposes towards consideration of a future naturalization guideline/policy.
12.2 MEMBERS OF STANDING COMMITTEE – NONE
12.3 BOARDS AND COMMITTEES - NONE
13. MOTIONS – NONE
14. IN CAMERA (IN PRIVATE) - NONE
15. ADDED ITEMS
16. NOTICES OF MOTION
17. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
18. DATE OF NEXT MEETING – February 7, 2019
INFORMATION ITEMS – NONE