1. CALL TO ORDER
2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – June 16, 2016
3. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND DELETIONS
4. BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF THE MINUTES
5. CALL FOR DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
6. MOTIONS OF RECONSIDERATION – NONE
7. MOTIONS OF RESCISSION – NONE
8. CONSIDERATION OF DEFERRED BUSINESS:
8.1 Funding Request – Neptune Theatre Foundation [PDF]
That Community Planning and Economic Development (CPED) Standing Committee recommend Halifax Regional Council direct staff to consider a $50,000 one-time capital grant contribution to Neptune Theatre as part of the 2017/18 operating budget .
9. NOTICES OF TABLED MATTERS – NONE
10. CORRESPONDENCE, PETITIONS & DELEGATIONS
10.1 Correspondence - None
10.3.1 Sophie Helpard, Executive Director, Students Nova Scotia – Presentation on the Students Nova Scotia Organization and its Goals.
10.3.2 Rebecca Gasek and Sherry Riggs - South End Community Daycare Centre Lease Renewal
11. INFORMATION ITEMS BROUGHT FORWARD – NONE
12.1.1 Charter Amendment to Enable Interim Development Controls [PDF]
That Community Planning and Economic Development Standing Committee recommend Regional Council request the Province amend the HRM Charter to enable Council to implement interim development controls for all or part of the Municipality.
12.1.2 Bayers Lake Mystery Wall [PDF]
That Community Planning and Economic Development Standing Committee recommend Regional Council:
1. Approve entering into a one-time contribution agreement with the Nova Scotia Archeology Society for funding of $5,475; and
2. Direct staff to negotiate and execute a contribution agreement on behalf of the Municipality with the Nova Scotia Archeology Society that, in the opinion of the Acting Chief Administrative Officer or his delegate, achieves the outcomes of the
Municipality identified in the July 12, 2016 staff report.
12.1.3 Destination Halifax Update and Amended Services Agreement [PDF]
That Community Planning and Economic Development (CPED) Standing Committee recommend that:
1. Regional Council approve the attached amending agreement and updates to Schedule A of the current Services Agreement with Destination Halifax; and,
2. The Audit and Finance Standing Committee recommend that Regional Council increase its operational support to Destination Halifax to $386,600 to correct a $104,500 discrepancy in HRM’s approved 2016-17 Operating and Capital Budget
with funding from Q328 – Operating Surplus Reserve.
12.1.4 Halifax Partnership Update and Amended Services Agreement [PDF]
That the Community Planning and Economic Development (CPED) Standing Committee recommend Regional Council approve the amending agreement to the Services Agreement with the Halifax Partnership that replaces the 2015/16 Schedule A with the Schedule A included as Attachment 2 to the July 11, 2016 staff report.
12.1.5 Support for Engage Nova Scotia [PDF]
That Community Planning and Economic Development Standing Committee recommend:
1. a grant of $50,000 from operating account M310-8004 to support Engage Nova Scotia
2. the agreement for the first grant be updated to cover this second grant
3. Audit & Finance Standing Committee review this proposal before forwarding it to Regional Council.
12.1.6 Red Tape Reduction Strategy [PDF]
That the Community Planning and Economic Development Standing Committee recommend:
1. Regional Council authorize the CAO to commit a staff resource, reporting to the CAO, to work with the Nova Scotia Office of Regulatory Affairs and Service Effectiveness on red tape reduction for a period of six months with the possibility
of extension of up to three years; and,
2. Prior to this report being forwarded to Regional Council, staff identify a funding source for Audit and Finance Standing Committee’s recommendation to Regional Council.
3. Staff report to Regional Council on progress in six months.
13. MOTIONS - NONE
14. IN CAMERA (IN PRIVATE)
The Committee may rise and go into a private In Camera session, in accordance with Section 19 of the Halifax Regional Municipality Charter, for the purpose of dealing with the following:
14.1 Personnel Matter – ArtsHalifax Advisory Committee
Citizen and Councillor appointments to boards and committees in keeping with the Public Appointment Policy adopted by Regional Council in August 2011, to be found at https://www.halifax.ca/city-hall/boards-committees-commissions/volunteer-boards-committees/public-appointment-policy
That the Community Planning and Economic Development Standing Committee approve the staff recommendation as outlined in the Private and Confidential staff report dated July 21, 2016.
15. ADDED ITEMS
16. NOTICES OF MOTION
17. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
18. DATE OF NEXT MEETING – September 15, 2016
1. Memorandum from the Managing Director, Government Relations and External Affairs dated July 13, 2016 - International Partnership Update. [PDF]
2. Memorandum from the Legislative Assistant dated July 19, 2016 re: Presentation Requests.[PDF]