1. CALL TO ORDER
• Election of Chair and Vice Chair
2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – May 17, 2018
3. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND
4. BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF THE MINUTES
5. CALL FOR DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
6. MOTIONS OF RECONSIDERATION – NONE
7. MOTIONS OF RESCISSION – NONE
8. CONSIDERATION OF DEFERRED BUSINESS
9. NOTICES OF TABLED MATTERS – NONE
10. CORRESPONDENCE, PETITIONS & DELEGATIONS
10.3.1 Hugh Chisholm, Chair of Halifax’s Domestic and Feral Cat Committee - Update on the Trap-Neuter-Return project [PDF]
11. INFORMATION ITEMS BROUGHT FORWARD – NONE
12.1.1 Proposed Amendments to Administrative Order 2014-002-ADM Respecting the Heritage Incentives Program [PDF]
That the Community Planning and Economic Development Standing Committee recommend that Halifax Regional Council:
1. Adopt the proposed amendments to Administrative Order 2014-002-ADM as outlined in Attachment 2 of the staff report dated May 8, 2018 so as to:
a. Change the intake period for applications under the Heritage Incentives Program from the current intake period of January 1st through March 31st to September 1st through December 1st of each year;
b. Change the deadline for staff to provide a recommendation to the Heritage Advisory Committee on eligible grant applications from June 30th to March 1st of each year in order to better align approval of funding with the start of the fiscal year.
c. Prioritize applicants in future years if they were previously approved for funding and were unable to commence their approved work during that year so long as they notify the municipality in writing by July 1st of the year they were initially approved for funding.
2. Retain the current approval process for the Amendments Respecting the Heritage Incentives Program Heritage Incentives Program which is referred to Regional Council for ultimate approval under Administrative Order 2014-002-ADM
12.2 MEMBERS OF STANDING COMMITTEE – NONE
12.3 HERITAGE ADVISORY COMMITTEE
12.3.1 Preservation of Historical Infrastructure on Spring Garden Road [PDF]
That the Community Planning and Economic Development Standing Committee request a staff report to examine the preservation and commemoration of historical infrastructure as part of the upcoming streetscaping along Spring Garden Road.
12.4 COMMUNITY DESIGN ADVISORY COMMITTEE – NONE
13. MOTIONS – NONE
14. IN CAMERA (IN PRIVATE)
14.1 Personnel Matter - Board/Committee Appointment
Citizen and Councillor appointments to boards and committees in keeping with the Public Appointment Policy adopted by Regional Council in August 2011, to be found at https://www.halifax.ca/city-hall/boards-committees-commissions/volunteer-boards-committees/public-appointment-policy
The Community Planning and Economic Development Standing Committee recommend that Regional Council:
1. Proceed to nominate one member at large to the Heritage Advisory Committee to fill an unexpired term to November 30, 2018, or consideration by Regional Council, as outlined in Attachment 1 of the private and confidential staff report dated June 6, 2018.
2. Proceed to nominate one member at large to the Heritage Advisory Committee to fill an unexpired term to November 30, 2019, for consideration by Regional Council, as outlined in Attachment 1 of the private and confidential staff report dated June 6, 2018.
3. Not release the private and confidential staff report dated June 6, 2018 to the public.
15. ADDED ITEMS
15.1 Halifax Green Network Plan [PDF] (Deferred to July 19, 2018 Meeting)
Staff Presentation [PDF]
That the Community Planning & Economic Development Standing Committee
recommend that Regional Council:
1. Authorize the direction contained in the Halifax Green Network Plan, as contained in Attachment
A of the June 12, 2018 staff report, as a framework for amending the existing Regional Plan and Secondary Planning Strategies, and developing new planning documents as may be necessary to implement the Halifax Green Network Plan direction;
2. Direct staff to carry out the actions contained in the Halifax Green Network Plan as part of the
multi-year budgeting and business planning process.
3. Request that the Province amend the Halifax Regional Municipality Charter, as set out in Actions
18 and 61 of the Halifax Green Network Plan, to:
(a) enable the Municipality to acquire sensitive environmental lands (e.g. riparian areas,
wetlands, steep slopes, etc.) as an environmental reserve through the land development
and subdivision process, in addition to existing parkland dedication provisions; and
(b) enable a greater range of legislative abilities, such as the ability to enact parkland
dedication requirements based on density to address development that does not include
the subdivision of land.
4. Initiate the process to consider amendments to the Regional Municipal Planning Strategy (RMPS)
to support the Halifax Green Network Plan (HGNP) by referencing the HGNP within the
conservation design development agreement policy criteria concerning the connectivity of open
5. Adopt, by policy, the Public Participation Program outlined in the Community Engagement section
of the staff report dated June 12, 2018.
16. NOTICES OF MOTION
17. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
18. DATE OF NEXT MEETING – July 19, 2018 – Council Chamber, 3rd Floor City Hall, 1841 Argyle Street, Halifax – 10:00 a.m.
1. Information report dated June 13, 2018 re: Presentation Requests [PDF]