The main entrance of City Hall will be closed due to repairs during the month of May. Please use the Argyle Street entrance during this time.
1. CALL TO ORDER
2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – April 20, 2017
3. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND
4. BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF THE MINUTES
5. CALL FOR DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
6. MOTIONS OF RECONSIDERATION – NONE
7. MOTIONS OF RESCISSION – NONE
8. CONSIDERATION OF DEFERRED BUSINESS
8.1 April 20, 2017–Correspondence dated March 27, 2017 from George Borgal Chair, Battle of the Atlantic Place Working Group for The Canadian Naval Memorial Trust re: Battle of the Atlantic Place [PDF]
Motion – Councillor Austin: [PDF]
That the Community Planning and Economic Development Standing Committee request a staff report regarding potential municipal support for the Battle of the Atlantic Place project presented at the March 23, 2017 meeting and in the March 27th letter from Battle of the Atlantic Place Chair George Borgal with consideration to the following:
• HRM’s potential capital contribution to not exceed 5% of the project’s overall cost, capped at $10,000,000.
• HRM’s contribution towards the cost of preparing the project over the next three years to not exceed 10%, capped at $50,000.
• Potential Capital funding to be allocated from the proposed Cultural Spaces funding in the Strategic Capital Plan.
9. NOTICES OF TABLED MATTERS – NONE
10. CORRESPONDENCE, PETITIONS & DELEGATIONS
10.3.1 Dave Rideout, President and CEO of MetroWorks Employment Association - Stone Hearth Bakery [PDF]
10.3.2 Elizabeth (Mandy) Kay-Raining Bird, Chair, Basic Income Nova Scotia Group – Basic Income for Nova Scotia [PDF]
11. INFORMATION ITEMS BROUGHT FORWARD – NONE
12.1 STAFF – NONE
12.2 COMMUNITY DESIGN ADVISORY COMMITTEE
12.2.1 Centre Plan Adoption Path [PDF]
That the Community Planning and Economic Development Standing Committee (CPED) recommend that Halifax Regional Council:
1. Authorize the direction contained within the Centre Plan document in Attachment 1 (Attachment A of the April 6, 2017 staff report) as a framework for amending existing planning documents and developing new planning documents as may be necessary to implement the Centre Plan direction; and
2. Direct staff to continue the ‘Step 4 Approvals Process’ of the Centre Plan Engagement Strategy as the public participation program as set out in Attachment 1 (Attachment C of the April 6, 2017 staff report).
12.3 MEMBERS OF THE STANDING COMMITTEE
12.3.1 Councillor Smith - Support for the Halifax Food Policy Alliance [PDF]
That the Community Planning and Economic Development Standing Committee request a staff report to evaluate options to further support the municipality’s participation in the issue of community food insecurity by:
1. Working in partnership with the Halifax Food Policy Alliance (HFPA), including formal endorsement of participation, recognition as an expert advisory group and collaboration on initiatives that promote community food security.
2. Investigate the possibility of creating a Food Charter and Strategy for HRM.
3. Request a study that shows where the most vulnerable communities are within HRM and existing food assets that support community food security.
4. Explore policy barriers, opportunities and enablers to support community food security.
14. IN CAMERA (IN PRIVATE)
14.1 Approval of In Camera (In Private) Minutes – April 20, 2017
That the Community Planning & Economic Development Standing Committee approve the In Camera Minutes of April 20, 2017 as circulated.
15. ADDED ITEMS
16. NOTICES OF MOTION
17. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
18. DATE OF NEXT MEETING – June 15, 2017
1. Memorandum from the Legislative Assistant dated May 10, 2017 re: Presentation Requests – NONE [PDF]
2. Memorandum from the Director of Planning & Development/Chief Planner dated March 1, 2017 re: Current Approach to Wayfinding in the Halifax Regional Municipality [PDF]