RESCHEDULED from November 1, 2018 to November 21, 2018
1. CALL TO ORDER
2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – October 4, 2018
3. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND
4. BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF THE MINUTES
5. CALL FOR DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
6. MOTIONS OF RECONSIDERATION – NONE
7. MOTIONS OF RESCISSION – NONE
8. CONSIDERATION OF DEFERRED BUSINESS – NONE
9. NOTICES OF TABLED MATTERS – NONE
10. CORRESPONDENCE, PETITIONS & DELEGATIONS
11. INFORMATION ITEMS BROUGHT FORWARD – NONE
12.1.1 CECAP – HRM Climate Strategy – Staff Presentation [PDF]
- Staff Presentation [PDF]
12.1.2 Halifax Solar City – Program Update & Extension [PDF]
- Staff Presentation [PDF]
That the Environment and Sustainability Standing Committee recommend that Regional Council:
1. Approve the continuation of the Solar City Program as a clean energy, community-based program; and
2. Direct staff to provide annual reports on the Solar City Program to the Environment and Sustainability Standing Committee.
12.1.3 Councillor Appointments to Boards/Committees [PDF]
That the Environment and Sustainability Standing Committee:
1. Nominate one (1) member to the Executive Standing Committee for a term to November 2020;
2. Nominate one (1) member to the Halifax Regional Water Commission for a term to November 2020;
3. Nominate one (1) member to the National Zero Waste Council for a term to November 2019; and
4. Nominate the Chair or Designate from the Environment and Sustainability Standing Committee membership to the Community Design Advisory Committee for a term to November 30, 2020.
12.1.4 Environment and Sustainability Standing Committee 2019 Meeting Schedule [PDF]
That the Environment and Sustainability Standing Committee approve the 2019 meeting schedule as outlined in Attachment 1 of the staff report dated November 6, 2018.
12.1.5 Single-use Item Reduction Strategy [PDF]
That the Environment and Sustainability Standing Committee recommends that Regional
Council direct staff to:
1. Collaborate with the industrial, commercial and institutional (ICI) sector to develop a voluntary waste reduction strategy for the consumption of single-use items focusing on plastic carry out bags, utensils, cups, containers, straws and other waste items that may be identified through this collaboration, subject to approval of the necessary program funding as part of the 19/20/21 budget.
2. Initiate an education campaign for residents and the ICI sector focused on the reduction of singleuse plastics.
3. Consult with industry, internal stakeholders, the public and the Regulatory Modernization Advisory Committee on the development of a regulatory framework required to prohibit the distribution of single-use plastics in the Halifax Regional Municipality, should the initial voluntary approach fail to achieve acceptable results by December 31, 2019.
4. Review and update the 2009 HRM Corporate Guidelines for Greening Meetings and Catering Requirements.
12.2 MEMBERS OF STANDING COMMITTEE – NONE
13. MOTIONS – NONE
14. IN CAMERA (IN PRIVATE)
The Standing Committee may rise and go into a private In Camera session, in accordance with Section 19 of the Halifax Regional Municipality Charter, for the purpose of dealing with the following:
14.1 In Camera (In Private) Minutes – April 5 and October 4, 2018
That the In Camera (In Private) minutes of April 5 and October 4, 2018 be approved as circulated.
15. ADDED ITEMS
16. NOTICES OF MOTION
17. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
18. DATE OF NEXT MEETING – December 6, 2018
INFORMATION ITEMS – NONE
1. Information Report from the Legislative Assistant dated October 23, 2018 re: Requests for Presentation - NONE [PDF]
For further information regarding this meeting, please contact
David Perusse, Legislative Assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org or 902-490-6732.