1.CALL TO ORDER
2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – October 18, 2017
3. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND
4. BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF THE MINUTES - NONE
5. CALL FOR DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
6. MOTIONS OF RECONSIDERATION – NONE
7. MOTIONS OF RESCISSION – NONE
8. CONSIDERATION OF DEFERRED BUSINESS- NONE
9. NOTICES OF TABLED MATTERS – NONE
10. CORRESPONDENCE, PETITIONS & DELEGATIONS
10.1 Correspondence - None
10.3 Presentations: None
11. INFORMATION ITEMS BROUGHT FORWARD - NONE
12.1 FINANCE AND RISK MANAGEMENT:
12.1.1 Second Quarter 2017-18 Financial Report (pdf)
The Audit and Finance Standing Committee forward the Second Quarter 2017/18 Financial Report to Regional Council for information.
12.2 INVESTMENT REPORTS: NONE
12.3 AUDITOR GENERAL:
12.3.1 Halifax Water – Management of Drinking Water Safety (pdf)
12.3.2 Management of Surplus Buildings and Land (pdf)
12.4.1 Dartmouth Sportsplex – Public Art Funding Transfer (pdf)
The Audit and Finance Standing Committee recommend that Halifax Regional Council:
1. Direct staff to transfer public art funding in the amount of $225,000 allocated for the Dartmouth Sportsplex Renovation Project from the 2017/18 operating budget (Cultural Development -C764) to the General Contingency Reserve, Q421, and
2. Commit the $225,000 as a withdrawal from the General Contingency Reserve to fund the operating expense in Cultural Development -C764 for the project costs to be incurred in 2018/19, as outlined in the Financial Implications section of the November 6, 2017 staff report.
12.4.2 Request for New Capital Project (Fuel Systems Upgrade) (pdf)
That the Audit & Finance Standing Committee recommend that Halifax Regional Council:
1. Approve a budget reduction of $165,000 from project account CMU00982, Transit Security; and,
2. Increase the capital budget for a new capital project 'Fuel System Upgrade' in the amount of $165,000, as outlined in the Financial Implications Section of this report.
12.5 GRANTS COMMITTEE:
12.5.1 Tax Relief for Non-Profit Organizations: Proposed Renewal of Tax Relief for Leases
Removed from AO 2014-001-ADM Schedules (pdf)
The Audit and Finance Standing Committee recommend Regional Council approve a grant for the (7) organizations listed in Table 1 of The August 14, 2017 staff report for fiscal year 2017-18, effective April 1, 2017, unless otherwise stated, at an estimated combined cost of $104,047 from Account M311-8006 (Grants & Tax Concessions).
12.6 SPECIAL EVENTS ADVISORY COMMITTEE: NONE
12.7 COMMITTEE MEMBERS:
12.7.1 Councillor Karsten – Potential Changes to the Audit and Finance Standing Committee Member Composition(pdf)
The Audit and Finance Standing Committee request Regional Council request a staff report considering potential changes to the member composition of the Audit and Finance Committee to include one or two members of the public.
13. MOTIONS - NONE
14. IN CAMERA (IN PRIVATE)
The Committee may rise and go into a private In Camera session, in accordance with Section 19 of the Halifax Regional Municipality Charter, for the purpose of dealing with the following:
14.1 Personnel Matter – Nominations to the Grants Committee
Citizen appointments to boards and committees in keeping with the Public Appointment Policy adopted by Regional Council in August 2011, to be found at www.halifax.ca
The Audit and Finance Standing Committee:
1) Nominate three citizens at large for a term to November 30, 2019 for consideration by Regional Council as outlined in Attachment 1 of the November 8, 2017 Private and Confidential staff report.
2) It is further recommended that the November 8, 2017 Private and Confidential staff report not be released to the public.
15. ADDED ITEMS
16. NOTICES OF MOTION
17. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
18. DATE OF NEXT MEETING – December 20, 2017
Memorandum dated November 9, 2017 from the Legislative Assistant RE Presentation Requests - None (pdf)