Time: 6:00 p.m.
Location: Council Chamber, 3rd Floor City Hall, 1841 Argyle Street, Halifax
Minutes: October 12, 2022 Halifax and West Community Council Minutes (PDF)
1. CALL TO ORDER AND LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – August 30, 2022
3. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND DELETIONS
- Item 16.1 – Community Council Nominations to Boards, Committees and Commissions
4. BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF THE MINUTES
5. CALL FOR DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
6. MOTIONS OF RECONSIDERATION – NONE
7. MOTIONS OF RESCISSION – NONE
8. CONSIDERATION OF DEFERRED BUSINESS – NONE
9. NOTICES OF TABLED MATTERS – NONE
10.1 PUBLIC HEARINGS
10.1.1 Case 22728: Development Agreement for 5241-5247 South Street (Stairs House), 5230 Harvey Street, and 5240-5246 Harvey Street, Halifax for a multi-unit dwelling and restoration of a registered heritage property [PDF]
That Halifax and West Community Council:
1. Approve the proposed development agreement, which shall be substantially of the same form as set out in Attachment A of the June 20, 2022 report; and
2. Require the agreement be signed by the property owner within 120 days, or any extension thereof granted by Council on request of the property owner, from the date of final approval by Council and any other bodies as necessary, including applicable appeal periods, whichever is later; otherwise this approval will be void and obligations arising hereunder shall be at an end.
10.2 VARIANCE APPEAL HEARINGS – NONE
11. CORRESPONDENCE, PETITIONS & DELEGATIONS
11.3 Presentations - None
12. INFORMATION ITEMS BROUGHT FORWARD – NONE
13.1.1 Case 22483: Planning District 5 (Chebucto Peninsula) Land Use By-Law Amendment to rezone 801 Old Sambro Road, Harrietsfield [PDF]
That Halifax and West Community Council give First Reading to consider approval of the proposed amendment to Schedule A - Zoning of the Land Use By-law for Planning District 5 (Chebucto Peninsula), as set out in Attachment A of the staff report dated July 27, 2022, to rezone a portion of the property identified as 801 Old Sambro Road, Harrietsfield (Lot 1516R) from the V-1 (Harrietsfield Village Centre) Zone to the C-5 (Industrial Commercial Mix) Zone and schedule a public hearing.
13.1.2 Case 24020: Land Use By-law Amendment for the Kearney Lake area of Halifax (Bedford West - Sub Area 11) [PDF]
That Halifax and West Community Council give First Reading to consider approval of the proposed amendments to the Halifax Mainland Land Use By-law, as set out in Attachment A of the staff report dated October 5, 2022, to enable R-2 Zone uses within the Kearney Lake area of Halifax (Bedford West - Sub Area 11) and schedule a public hearing.
- Public Participation
13.2 POINT PLEASANT PARK ADVIOSRY COMMITTEE
13.2.1 NSCAD University Student Art Installations in Point Pleasant Park [PDF]
That Halifax and West Community Council recommend that Halifax Regional Council direct the Chief Administrative Officer to prepare a staff report evaluating the proposed NSCAD student art installations in Point Pleasant Park with consideration of compliance with the Public Art Policy (2020-002-OP), permission from Parks Canada, and insurance requirements.
13.3 MEMBERS OF COMMUNITY COUNCIL
13.3.1 Councillor Mason - Granville Mall [PDF]
That Halifax and West Community Council request a staff report regarding closing the portion of Granville St from the current private parking lot to the north to Duke Street in the south, currently known as Granville Mall, and designating the municipal property in Granville Mall as a park.
15. IN CAMERA (IN PRIVATE) – NONE
17. NOTICES OF MOTION
18. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
19. DATE OF NEXT MEETING – November 15, 2022