A dial-in or live broadcast of this meeting is not available. In accordance with the July 29, 2020 direction of the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing under section 14 of the Emergency Management Act, this meeting is being held virtually. Draft minutes of this meeting will be made available on halifax.ca within three business days.
1. CALL TO ORDER
1.1 Annual Election of Chair and Vice Chair
2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – March 5, 2020
3. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND
4. BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF THE MINUTES
5. CALL FOR DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
6. MOTIONS OF RECONSIDERATION – NONE
7. MOTIONS OF RESCISSION – NONE
8. CONSIDERATION OF DEFERRED BUSINESS – NONE
9. NOTICES OF TABLED MATTERS – NONE
10. CORRESPONDENCE, PETITIONS & DELEGATIONS
10.3.1 Infectious Control Prevention for Janitorial – Jim Benoit, President of Occupational Health and Educational Services
10.3.2 The Role of a Low-Carbon Gas Grid in HRM’s Net-Zero Future – Derek Estabrook, Vice-President of Business Development, Heritage Gas
- Handout: An Integrated Energy System Pathway
- Handout: A Feasibility Study of Hydrogen Production, Storage, Distribution and Use in the Maritimes
11. INFORMATION ITEMS BROUGHT FORWARD – NONE
12.1.1 Review of Report Requests [PDF]
That Environment and Sustainability Standing Committee review the attached list of report requests, as outlined in Attachment 1, and bring forward any items recommended to be withdrawn.
12.1.2 Supplemental Report: Regional Watersheds Advisory Board Review [PDF]
That the Environment and Sustainability Standing Committee recommend that Halifax Regional Council adopt the amendments to the Regional Watershed Advisory Board Terms of Reference as set out Attachment 2 of this report.
12.1.3 Councillor Appointments to Boards and Committees [PDF]
That Environment and Sustainability Standing Committee:
1. Nominate one (1) member to the Executive Standing Committee for a term to November 2022.
2. Nominate one (1) member to the Halifax Regional Water Commission for a term to November 2022.
3. Nominate one (1) member to the National Zero Waste Council for a term to November 2021.
4. Nominate one (1) member and one (1) alternate member to the Nova Scotia Solid Waste-Resource Management - Regional Chairs Committee for a term to November 2022.
5. Nominate the Chair or Designate from the Environment and Sustainability Standing Committee membership to the Community Design Advisory Committee for a term to November 30, 2022.
12.1.4 Ecological Lens [PDF]
That the Environment and Sustainability Standing Committee recommend that Regional Council direct the Chief Administrative Officer to:
1.Update the Implementation Guidelines for the Environmental Implications Section of Regional Council and Committee Reports; and
2.Develop mandatory training to educate staff on the implementation guidelines and additional resources and requirements for environmental decision-making.
12.1.5 Proposed 2021 Environment and Sustainability Standing Committee Meeting Schedule [PDF]
That the Environment and Sustainability Standing Committee approve the proposed 2021 meeting schedule as outlined in Attachment 1 of this report.
12.2 MEMBERS OF STANDING COMMITTEE – NONE
12.3 BOARDS AND COMMITTEES – NONE
13.1 Councillor Cleary - Declining Water Levels in Williams Lake/Shaw Wilderness Park
That the Environment and Sustainability Standing Committee request a staff report that investigates the declining water levels in Williams Lake and makes recommendations on potential actions related to repairing and/or replacing the dam, as well as stopping the leakage around and under the dam. The report should investigate the influences of climate change, development, and other relevant factors on water levels and water quality in the Williams Lake watershed and if there are mitigating actions that might be beneficial, especially given the recent substantial investments made by the Halifax Regional Municipality and the Nature Conservancy of Canada in the new Shaw Wilderness Park.
14. IN CAMERA (IN PRIVATE)
Council may rise and go into a private In Camera session, in accordance with Section 19 of the Halifax Regional Municipality Charter, for the purpose of dealing with the following:
14.1 In Camera (In Private) Minutes – March 5, 2020
That the In Camera (In Private) minutes of March 5, 2020 be approved as circulated.
14.2 Personnel Matter – Private and Confidential Report
Citizen and Councillor appointments to boards and committees in keeping with the Public Appointment Policy adopted by Regional Council in August 2011, to be found at https://www.halifax.ca/city-hall/boards-committees-commissions/volunteer-boards-committees/public-appointment-policy
That the Environment and Sustainability Standing Committee convene to In Camera to discuss a personal matter.
15. ADDED ITEMS
16. NOTICES OF MOTION
17. DATE OF NEXT MEETING – To Be Determined
1. Information Report from the Legislative Assistant dated November 27, 2020 re: Requests for Presentation [PDF]
2. Information Report from Kelly Denty, Director, Planning and Development and Jacques Dubé, Chief Administrative Officer, dated August 27, 2020 re: Water Quality Monitoring in HRM Lakes [PDF]
3. Information Report from Brad Anguish, P.Eng., Executive Director, Transportation and Public Works and Jacques Dubé, Chief Administrative Officer, dated November 26, 2020 re: Procurement of CO2 Mineralized Concrete in Municipal Projects [PDF]
For further information regarding this meeting, please contact Haruka Aoyama, Legislative Assistant, at AoyamaHa@halifax.ca or 902-490-6517