1. CALL TO ORDER
2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – January 18, 2018
3. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND
4. BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF THE MINUTES
5. CALL FOR DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
6. MOTIONS OF RECONSIDERATION – NONE
7. MOTIONS OF RESCISSION – NONE
8. CONSIDERATION OF DEFERRED BUSINESS
8.1 January 18, 2018 - Potential Support for Battle of the Atlantic Place [PDF]
That the Community Planning and Economic Development Standing Committee recommend that Halifax Regional Council authorize the Chief Administrative Officer, or his delegate, to negotiate and approve a contribution agreement with the Battle of the Atlantic Place Society to provide a grant from the Fiscal Services budget to support the development phase of the Battle of the Atlantic Place project, subject to the following conditions:
1. That the amount of the grant not exceed a maximum of $50,000 over three years;
2. That municipal funding will only be provided upon receipt of a detailed budget from the Battle of the
Atlantic Society confirming that the additional funding necessary for the development phase of the
project has been committed by other funders or sources; and
3. That decisions regarding potential municipal funding for future phases of the project not be
considered until completion of the development phase and receipt by the Municipality of a detailed
9. NOTICES OF TABLED MATTERS – NONE
10. CORRESPONDENCE, PETITIONS & DELEGATIONS
10.3.1 Lauren Ott, Director, Business Development, WE re: WE Schools Program [PDF]
10.3.2 Laurie Cook, Director, Strategic Development & Custom Learning, Community Sector Council of Nova Scotia re: Opportunities to enhance capacity building in the nonprofit sector [PDF]
11. INFORMATION ITEMS BROUGHT FORWARD – NONE
12.1.1 Multi-Services Youth Centre for Sackville [PDF]
-Staff Presentation [PDF]
That the Community Planning & Economic Standing Committee recommend that Halifax
1. Subject to approval of funds in the 2018/19 budget, approve a one-year pilot project to establish a
collaborative multi agency, multi service Youth Centre at Acadia School in Sackville, to be
developed in three phases as outlined in the discussion section of the staff report dated February 5, 2018.
2. Direct the Chief Administrative Officer to include:
a. An allocation of $30,000 in the 2018/19 operating budget for Parks and Recreation to fund a
25 hour per week Project Coordinator position to oversee the pilot program;
b. A one time allocation of $35,000 in the 2018/19 operating budget for Parks & Recreation for
renovations and fit up costs.
c. An allocation of $10,000 in the Building Operations budget for Corporate & Customer Services
to fund janitorial services for the additional square footage.
3. Should funding for the pilot program be approved, direct the CAO to return to CPED with an
evaluation report to determine future scope and funding for the program.
4. Direct the CAO to continue to seek opportunities to establish multi services youth centres in other
areas of the municipality.
12.2 COMMUNITY DESIGN ADVISORY COMMITTEE – NONE
12.3 HERITAGE ADVISORY COMMITTEE – NONE
12.3 MEMBERS OF STANDING COMMITTEE – NONE
13. MOTIONS – NONE
14. IN CAMERA (IN PRIVATE) – NONE
15. ADDED ITEMS
16. NOTICES OF MOTION
17. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
18. DATE OF NEXT MEETING – March 8, 2018 – Council Chamber, 3rd Floor City Hall, 1841 Argyle Street, Halifax – 1:00 p.m.
1. Memorandum from the Legislative Assistant dated January 10, 2018 re: Presentation Requests [PDF]
2. Memorandum from the Director of Parks and Recreation dated January 22, 2018 re: Spring & Summer 2017 Youth Engagement Report [PDF]