Reporting Non-Compliant Issues in Residential Buildings

M-200 By-Law

Respecting Standards for Residential Occupancies

Step 1: Problem Identified

The M-200 By-Law is the minimum standard to which residential buildings, including houses, apartment buildings and rooming houses in Halifax Regional Municipality must be maintained. If a building is suspected to be non-compliant with the M-200 By-Law, it should be reported.

When a suspected non-compliant condition is reported, a service request will be created. A reference number will be created for records and tracking purposes.

Step 2: Creating a Service Request

To report a non-compliant condition:

Call: 311


The service request will be created and received by the appropriate staff, follow-up contact will be made, and if necessary, an inspection will be scheduled. Access must be provided to the unit or area in order for the inspection to take place.

Step 3: Site Inspection

If any non-compliant issues are found during the inspection, the owner of the property will be ordered to bring it into compliance.
The M-200 By-Law is intended to maintain all buildings to the standard to which they were required to be built. All renovations, new construction, repairs to existing buildings, and replacement of structures, such as decks, must meet
current code requirements and require permits. If it is suspected work has taken place without a permit, this should
be reported to the municipality.

Step 4: Compliance

The owner will be given an amount of time to complete the work required, which may be extended at the discretion of the inspector handling the case. The case will remain with the assigned inspector until it has been resolved. If necessary, the inspector may use alternate means to bring the building into compliance.


Am I covered by the M-200 By-Law?

Most types of residential occupancies are covered under this By-Law. However, the municipality does not have jurisdiction over public housing programs that are run by provincial or federal government.

When should I report a non-compliant condition?

If violations of the By-Law are present in an apartment or other type of unit you are renting, they should first be brought to the attention of the landlord as they may not be aware of the issue. If it is left unresolved, it should be reported to the municipality.

Where can I report a non-compliant condition?

Call: 311


Who will do my inspection?

A municipal fire inspector will be assigned the service request; this inspector will conduct the inspection and will be the main point of contact for the duration of the case.

What will the inspector look for?

The inspector will address any concerns you have, in addition to inspecting for all requirements of the By-Law. The requirements of the By-Law include but are not limited to the following:

  • Fire Prevention
  • Structural Soundness
  • Drainage
  • Foundations
  • Windows and Doors
  • Egress and Exiting
  • Decks
  • Elevators
  • Stairs
  • Fireplaces, Fuel Burning Appliances and Chimneys
  • Heating
  • Plumbing
  • Electrical
  • Ventilation
  • Health Concerns

Can the fire inspector resolve disputes between me and my landlord or get me out of my lease?

The focus of the M-200 By-Law is building safety; if you require assistance with a tenant-landlord dispute or early lease
termination please contact the Residential Tenancy Program of Nova Scotia

M-200 By-Law Brochure (Printable PDF)