Councillor Adams was first elected to Halifax City Council in 1991, representing Ward 7. He was successful in four subsequent elections including elections in 1994, 1995, 2000, 2004 and 2008. He was re-elected in October 2012 to represent District 11, Spryfield - Sambro - Prospect Road.
In 1994 he was elected as Deputy Mayor of Halifax, becoming the youngest deputy mayor to serve in the history of the city. In November 2007, he was elected Deputy Mayor of Halifax Regional Municipality.
Councillor Adams was born and raised in Spryfield, attending local schools and graduating from J.L. Ilsley High School in 1979. He graduated from Dalhousie University with a Bachelor of Science in 1982, and a Bachelor of Commerce in 1986. Stephen began his professional career in 1986 with Procter and Gamble Pharmaceuticals, and retired from that position in November, 2013.
Councillor Adams is a member of the following boards and committees:
- Halifax West Community Council, Chair
- Appeals Committee, Chair
- Audit and Finance Standing Committee
- Long Lake Provincial Park Association
- Prospect Road Recreation Association
- Community Liaison Committee
- Community Monitoring Committee
- Special Events Advisory Committee, Chair