Summer recreation programs have once again been planned, in accordance with public health guidelines.
Outdoor recreation programing will be offered in June and both indoor and outdoor (half-day and full-day) summer camps are expected to proceed this summer with physical distancing measures in place.
If there are changes to COVID-19 guidelines, staff will work with public health to assess and adjust programs as needed to balance the safety of all participants and staff.
Registration for all ages will begin at 10 a.m. on each of the following days:
June outdoor programs
June outdoor programs are now viewable online.
Day camps and other recreation programs
- Monday, June 21 – July programs
- Tuesday, June 22 – August programs
Indoor/outdoor pool and beach programs
• Wednesday, June 23 – July and August programs
Day camps, other recreation programs, pool and beach programs will be viewable online on Wednesday as of June 9.
One-on-one inclusion support
Registration for one-on-one inclusion support will take place Monday, June 21 and Tuesday, June 22. Requests received after this date will be added to a waitlist.
Registrants will be asked to prioritize requested weeks for both July and August along with preferred choice of facilities.
NOTE: Those who need support must register using the barcode 00040191. This barcode is only for one-on-one support for those wishing to attend a summer camp. It will be used by all facilities across the municipality.
When supports are confirmed, the applicant will be notified by their local Community Recreation Coordinator to provide payment and complete an intake form. More information can be found here.
· The Captain William Spry and the Sackville Sports Stadium pools will open June 17
· The Needham pool will open June 19as renovation work is ongoing
· After being closed last summer, the Bedford outdoor pool will open July 1
· Due to ongoing renovation work, the Cole Harbour outdoor pool and splash pad will delay opening until mid-July. For more information visit the website.
· The Halifax Common Pool remains closed at this time. The pool is being assessed to determine the work required to be able to reopen. More information will follow.
Please note: Due to ongoing public health restrictions, swim times must be booked in advance for all indoor and outdoor pools at www.halifax.ca/myrec.
The following splash pads are now open:
· George Dixon Centre
· Isleville Street
· Sackville (Kinsman)
The Halifax Common splash pad will open July 1.
Aquatic Program Registration
Registration for aquatic programming will begin June 23 at 10 a.m. Programs will be offered at both indoor and outdoor pools. Swimming lessons will also be offered at supervised beaches across the municipality.
Residents can register by phone at 902-490-6666, in person at a municipality operated recreation centre or online beginning June 23.
Municipal beaches will be open for the summer season from July 1 to August 31.
Municipal staff regularly test the water quality for bacteria levels at all supervised municipal beaches, as well as one unsupervised beach (Malay Falls), during the summer months. Water quality testing will not take place at Black Rock, Dingle or Kinsmen or Government Wharf beaches.
Please note: There is currently a water advisory in effect for Grand Lake (including Oakfield Beach). Learn more here.
For more information on municipal beaches visit Halifax.ca/beaches.
Municipally operated recreation centres will reopen on Thursday, June 17 with the following exceptions:
· The Sheet Harbour Recreation Centre will reopen Monday, June 21
· Emera Oval equipment lending will begin Monday, June 21
· Rentals at municipally owned and operated recreation facilities, community centres, and arenas will resume regular hours on Thursday, June 17. Please call your local facility for more information.
Membership fees will automatically reactivate upon reopening. Drop-ins for fitness classes, fitness centre, pools, etc. will not be permitted. Residents must book appointments in advance, over the phone or online through halifax.ca/myrec. For more information or for specific program and service offerings, please contact your local recreation centre.
For opening dates and program registration for municipal partner recreation facilities, please contact those facilities directly.
Residents are reminded they may continue to use REC at Home which offers a variety of activities that you can enjoy with your family - from arts and crafts, to at-home workouts.