When do I need a tent permit?
- You need to apply or a tent permit for tents or canopies greater than 10ftx10ft (3.48m2)
- You do not need a permit for anything smaller including multiple tents/canopies (each smaller than 10ftx10ft (3.48m2) and at least 10 feet apart)
How to apply for a tent permit?
Pick up, submit, and pay for your application package at any of the following locations:
- HRM Customer Service Office, 40 Alderney Gate, 2nd Floor, Dartmouth
- Scotia Square Mall, Halifax
- 7071 Bayers Road, Suite 2005, 2nd floor, Halifax
- 636 Sackville Drive, Sackville
Large events (200+ people):
Halifax Regional Fire & Emergency will connect with organizers of larger events (such as Tall Ships, Buskers, concerts, etc.) through the Halifax Regional Municipality Special Events Task Force. Event organizers will be responsible for overall safety throughout the event and to ensure tents, canopies, and equipment used by vendors meet the requirements of the Special Event Guidelines.
For large events, it takes 10 business days are needed to review and approve the applications.
Small events (200 people or less)
For a small event of 200 people or less, five business days will be required to review and approve the applications.
Upon picking up the application, a fee of $78.75 (taxes included) will be made payable to Halifax Regional Municipality. Payment can be made by cash, debit, cheque or credit card.
To speak with a Fire Prevention officer regarding your application, please contact 311.