Reporting crime in Halifax

Call 911 for emergencies 

If someone’s life or property is in danger, or if you see a crime in progress, call 911 immediately. 

Halifax Regional Police define “in progress” as currently happening, or any situation where the suspect may still be in the area and/or the victim may still be in danger. 

The following are treated as emergency situations: 

  • assaults
  • robberies
  • break and enters
  • fights
  • gunshots
  • vehicle accidents with injuries
  • suspected impaired drivers
  • someone is in the process of stealing a vehicle 

This is not a complete list. If you aren’t sure if your situation is an emergency, call 911 and let the experts decide.

More information on calling 911 from the Nova Scotia Emergency Measures Organization.

Reporting non-emergencies 

If the crime isn’t urgent, you have a few options for reporting it. 

By phone

I want a police officer to come to the scene of a crime

If you want police officers to come to the scene, but the situation is not an emergency, call 902.490.5020. This is the non-emergency dispatch line, and should be used for reporting: 

  • not-in-progress:
    • break and enters
    • robberies
    • stolen vehicles
    • historical sexual assaults
  • in progress:
    • driving complaints
    • noise complaints

I want to report an incident, but don’t need a police officer on the scene

If you want to report a crime but don’t need an officer to come to the scene, call the incident reporting line at 902.490.5016, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Closed statutory holidays.

Use this phone number to report: 

  • thefts
  • thefts from vehicles
  • property damage
  • driving complaints (not in progress)
  • lost or found property
  • stolen license plates

Reporting motor vehicle collisions

To report a motor vehicle collision, send an email to

In your email you must provide the following information:

  • a phone number you can be reached
  • driver’s license information of the person who was driving at the time of the accident
  • Your permit with your VIN – Vehicle Identification Number
  • Your insurance information
  • A date and time as well as a location and a brief description of what occurred

Traffic Support Services will create a GO report for you and will call you with a General Occurrence Number required by your insurance company.

If you have any questions, please email

**Please note we are currently experiencing a backlog and are contacting people in order as we are working on the reports, we appreciate your patience.**

I want to make an anonymous tip

All anonymous tips about crimes should be directed to Crime Stoppers. Call 1.800.222.TIPS (8477) to provide anonymous information about a crime. 

Online crime reporting

Some crimes can be reported online to the Halifax Regional Police. Use online reporting if:

  • you've lost something
  • someone has stolen something from you
  • someone has vandalized your property, including your car. Please note that this does not include motor vehicle collisions. Information on reporting motor vehicle collisions.
  • someone has broken into your car

You can also file various online crime reports in French.

Before you report a crime through the online tool, make sure you have all relevant information, including serial numbers and values of stolen items. You may also need to turn off your pop-up blocking software

You will receive an email—usually within three business days —that explains if your report has been approved or rejected or if the police need additional information from you. Approved reports will be accompanied by a PDF copy of the report and a case number that you can use for insurance purposes. The temporary reference number you receive immediately after filing your report is not a report number and cannot be used for insurance claims.