Step 1: Register for the Solar City Halifax program
- Property owner registers online for the Solar City program
- Solar city office confirms property owner eligibility
Step 2: Select a solar contractor and request a solar energy assessment
- Property owner sources solar contractors to obtain a solar energy system proposal that best meets their energy consumption habits and obtain quotes
- To help select a contractor, please refer to our Tips for Choosing a Solar Contractor and the Nova Scotia Go Solar Guide. A list of Atlantic Canadian solar companies registered with Solar Nova Scotia is available.
- If you intend on installing a solar electric system and obtaining the SolarHomes rebate, you are required to select an approved contractor from the Efficiency Trade Network.
- It is recommended that you obtain quotes from at least three solar contractors and evaluate each based on quality, experience and price as this is significant, long-term investment. The municipality is not responsible for selecting a contractor on behalf of Property Owners. It is solely the responsibility of the Property Owner to follow best practices while selecting a reputable contractor to complete the work.
- When satisfied a with solar contractor and their proposal, property owner emails the Solar City office with selection
Step 3: Solar contractor review and execute property owner agreement
- Solar City office completes a detailed third party review of the chosen solar contractor and system proposal
- Solar City office approves the financing for the proposed project and forwards the property owner an Energy Efficiency Equipment Participant Agreement for review and signature
Step 4: Solar Contractor completes installation
- Solar contractor completes solar energy system installation
Step 5: Project Completion Report and Close Out
- Solar contractor submits the signed Certification of Completion to the Solar City office along with proof of passed final inspections and monitoring access information (if applicable)
- Solar City office reviews and approves Certification of Completion
Step 6: Payment
- Solar city office reimburses solar contractors for work completed
- Property owner receives a Local Improvement Charge (LIC) invoice and schedule of payments from the municipality
Are you a property owner? See the Property Owner Guide. Also see tips for selecting a contractor and installation professional.
Are you a solar contractor? See the Information for Solar Contractors.