Thursday, Jan. 14, 2016 (Halifax, NS) – Halifax Regional Fire & Emergency (HRFE) is now recruiting.
Earlier this week, Halifax Regional Council approved a new recruit selection process for the fire department.
This is the first time since 2007 that HRFE has launched a recruitment drive for new career firefighters. The current initiative has been months in the making and reflects a new approach aimed at removing barriers for those who want a career as a firefighter.
HRFE is interested in attracting potential applicants who might otherwise not have pursued a career in firefighting. Application requirements have been changed in an effort to reduce barriers for potential applicants.
HRFE is eliminating the need for post-secondary certification and removing all costs previously incurred by applicants at various phases of the selection process. Past recruitment fees were upwards of $1,000.
Being a firefighter is a challenging and rewarding career that offers the opportunity to help others while working as a member of a highly skilled team.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Grade 12 education or equivalent
- Nova Scotia Class 5 Driver’s Licence (or equivalent from another province) with a safe and responsible driving record
- Criminal record check with no job-related convictions of a criminal offence for which a pardon has not been granted
- Ability to communicate clearly in English (oral and written form) under demanding, high-pressure situations
- Must be 18 or older at the time of the application
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
The hiring process will include aptitude testing, physical abilities testing, and a panel interview.
Information sessions for potential recruits are scheduled as follows:
- Thursday, Jan. 14, 2016, 7-8:30 p.m. – Cole Harbour Place (Westphal Room), 51 Forest Hills Parkway, Cole Harbour
- Saturday, Jan. 16, 2016, 10-11:30 a.m. – Dartmouth Sportsplex (Common Room), 110 Wyse Rd., Dartmouth
- Saturday, Jan. 16, 2016, 2-3:30 p.m. – Halifax Forum (Multipurpose Centre), 2901 Windsor St., Halifax - CANCELLED
- Saturday, Jan. 23, 2016, 10-11:30 a.m. – Prospect Road Community Centre (Multipurpose Room), 2141 Prospect Rd., Hatchett Lake
- Saturday, Jan. 23, 2016, 2-3:30 p.m. – Black Cultural Centre, 10 Cherry Brook Rd., Cherry Brook
- Monday, Jan. 25, 2016, 7-8:30 p.m. – St. Andrew’s Community Centre, 3380 Barnstead Lane, Halifax
If you are community minded, highly motivated, physically fit, and a team player, then we want you to consider becoming a firefighter.
For more information on how to apply, visit halifax.ca/fire