Halifax Regional Police is asking the children of Halifax Regional Municipality for their help in naming our new police horse.
Following the retirement of Patrol Cruiser (Cruise) in October 2014, we undertook an intensive search to find a new stablemate for Duty Sergeant (Sarge). Garran, our newest four-legged recruit, comes to us from a farm in Wilmore, Kentucky that specializes in training police horses. We knew we’d found the right horse for the job when we saw the white mark in the middle of his forehead that resembles a police badge!
Garran has been out and about in Halifax since mid-July, completing his cadet training and getting used to his new stomping grounds. He’s now ready to become a full-fledged member of our Mounted Unit, but before he can be sworn in as an HRP police horse, he needs a new name in keeping with the long and proud tradition of the HRP Mounted Unit.
All students in grades primary through six, currently living in Halifax Regional Municipality, are invited to submit their suggestions for Garran’s new name by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Your suggestion for Garran’s new name (no longer than six letters and one syllable)
- Your reason for choosing that name
- Your name and age
- Telephone number or email address
The contest closes on November 16. The winning name will be selected by a panel of Halifax Regional Police employees. The winner will receive a prize pack and be invited to participate in the swearing-in ceremony. For full contest details, visit halifax.ca/Police/HorseNamingContest.php
Fast Facts about Garran:
- He’s five-years-old.
- He’s a Percheron/thoroughbred mix.
- He stands 16.3 hands high and has a dark bay (dark brown) coat.
- Cst. Chris Tracey, his partner, describes him as “a very calm and inquisitive boy who likes to problem solve and is eager to please.”
- He loves scratches on his forehead from his partner, Cst. Tracey, after a long day patrolling and the occasional treat for a job well done. And, of course, his big brother Sarge, who loves showing him the ropes.