Thursday, Nov. 13, 2014 (Halifax, NS) – The Halifax Regional Municipality is advising residents that a number of streets near the Halifax North Common will be closed to traffic starting Friday, Nov. 14, to pave the new roundabout.
Starting at 6 a.m. Friday and continuing until 5 a.m. Monday, Nov. 17, the following streets will be closed, except for local traffic:
- Cunard Street, inbound lane only from Princess Place to North Park Street;
- Cunard Street, both directions between Maynard and North Park streets;
- Agricola Street, both directions between Woodill and North Park streets;
- Armoury Place, both directions between North Park Street and halfway to Maynard Street;
- North Park Street, both directions between Cornwallis and Cunard streets;
- North Park Street, inbound lane only between Cornwallis and Cogswell streets;
- Cornwallis Street, outbound lane only between North Park and Bauer streets.
There will be signage posted in the area and traffic personnel will be on site to assist through the weekend closures. To help reduce any problems, motorists are encouraged to find alternative routes while this final stage of work is completed.
Residents in the area are reminded that to help finish the work this weekend, the contractor has been granted an exemption to the municipal noise by-law, allowing construction crews to work longer hours or overnight, if required.
Weather permitting, crews expect to finish paving on Sunday and the roundabout will be operational for the morning commute on Monday, Nov. 17.
Once the roundabout is open, motorists, cyclists and pedestrians are urged to watch out for new traffic signage in the area and to follow the rules for navigating a roundabout.
The North Park Intersection Redesign is a two-year project, beginning with the roundabout at Cunard Street. A second roundabout at the intersection of North Park, Cogswell, Rainnie, Trollope and Ahern streets will be built in 2015.
For more information on roundabouts and the North Park Intersection Redesign project, please visit www.halifax.ca.