Am I eligible for Youth Live?
To be eligible to join Youth Live you must:
- be between 16 and 24 years old
- not be employed or attending school full-time
What are the program hours?
You will have scheduled shifts five days a week Monday through Friday.
Youth Live participants receive a training allowance (stipend) based on an 32.5 hour work week, for up to 24 weeks.
What kind of experience will I gain?
You will gain experience in:
- Customer service
- Cash management
- Warehouse management
What will I learn?
Throughout the program, you will have access to learning sessions:
- Leadership training
- Life skill development
- Safety in the workplace
- Identifying your skills (and which ones need more development)
- Job search tools and techniques
- Writing resumes, including one-on-one time with staff to help create your own resume
- Writing cover letters
- Interview techniques
Other certifications received through Youth Live:
Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS): WHMIS is a comprehensive system for providing health and safety information on hazardous products intended for use, handling, or storage in Canadian workplaces.
First Aid Training: Emergency First Aid Certificate teaches methods for providing basic, urgent assistance to injured or ill individuals. Through a combination of instruction, demonstration, and hands-on practice, you will learn how to determine the severity of a patient’s condition and practice safe intervention when providing them with emergency support.
Food Safety Certificate: Also called a Food Handler Certificate, is awarded to Food Handlers of all kinds (chefs, servers, dishwashers, food business owners, etc.). Food safety training is one of the best ways you can gain the fundamental knowledge and skills required to handle food safely in a food business such as a restaurant of café, or at home.
There will be Co-op opportunities for participants to gain employment experience in:
- PARKS & RECREATION (Emera Oval, Adventure Earth Centre, sports fields, Power House Youth Centre, The Den Youth Centre, etc…)
- ADMINISTRATIVE WORK (Municipal Compliance, Front Desk at Recreation Centres)
- AND MORE!