1. CALL TO ORDER
2. SPECIAL COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – NONE
4. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND DELETIONS
5. BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF THE MINUTES
6. CALL FOR DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
7. MOTIONS OF RECONSIDERATION – NONE
8. MOTIONS OF RESCISSION – NONE
9. CONSIDERATION OF DEFERRED BUSINESS – NONE
10. NOTICES OF TABLED MATTERS – NONE
11. PUBLIC HEARING – NONE
12. CORRESPONDENCE, PETITIONS & DELEGATIONS
13. INFORMATION ITEMS BROUGHT FORWARD – NONE
14.1 CHIEF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER
14.1.1 Increase to Contract, Tender 17-062 Concrete Accessibility Improvements [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council authorize an increase to contract for Tender No. 17-062, Concrete Accessibility Improvements, for changes to the contracted scope of work, in the amount of $51,296 (net HST included), with funding from Project Account No. CR990002, State of Good Repair as outlined in the Financial Implications section of the staff report dated November 3, 2017.
14.1.2 Administrative Order 50 Disposal of Surplus Real Property – PID 40028193 Gerard Island, Spry Bay [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council approve the sale of PID 40028193 and authorize the Mayor and Municipal Clerk to enter an Agreement of Purchase and Sale with the Nova Scotia Nature Trust as per the terms and conditions set out in Table 1 of the staff report dated November 3, 2017.
14.1.3 Second Reading Proposed By-Law B-203, an Amendment By-Law B-201, Respecting the Building Code – Incentives for Affordable Housing Projects [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council Adopt the amendments to By-law B-201, the Building By-law, as set out in Attachment C of the staff report dated October 31, 2017, to exempt building permit fees for developments proposed by not-for-profit organizations or charities that include affordable units.
14.2 TRANSPORTATION STANDING COMMITTEE
14.2.1 Carriage of Two-Wheeled Devices on Halifax Transit Ferries [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council:
1. Approve modifications to the Halifax Transit ferries to accommodate an additional bicycle rack;
2. Restrict the number of standard sized bicycles carried per crossing to the number that can be accommodated in bicycle racks;
3. Approve the installation of tire sizing racks at the ferry terminals to ensure that bicycles can be accommodated prior to boarding; and
4. Prohibit segways from the Halifax Transit ferries.
14.2.2 Pedestrian Connection, St. Margaret’s Bay [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council direct staff to continue planning pedestrian connections from St. Margaret’s Bay Elementary to the St. Margaret’s Bay Rails to Trails and the HRM ball field, playground and Bay waterfront access as identified in the Discussion section of the staff report dated September 11, 2017, and report back to the Transportation Standing Committee with a proposed pedestrian connection.
16. IN CAMERA (IN PRIVATE)
Council may rise and go into a private In Camera session, in accordance with Section 19 of the Halifax Regional Municipality Charter, for the purpose of dealing with the following:
16.1 Personnel Matter
Citizen and Councillor appointments to boards and committees in keeping with the Public Appointment Policy adopted by Regional Council in August 2011.
16.1.1 Ratification of Citizen Appointments to Boards and Committees – Private and Confidential Report
That Halifax Regional Council:
1. Adopt the recommends of the Standing Committees regarding the Citizen Appointments as outlined in attachment 1 of the private and confidential report dated November 27, 2017.
2. It is further recommended that the Citizen Appointments be released to the public following ratification and notification of the successful candidates.
3. It is further recommended that the private and confidential report dated November 27, 2017 not be released to the public.
16.2 Property Matter
A matter pertaining to providing instruction and direction to officers and employees of the Municipality pertaining to the acquisition / sale of land in regard to:
16.2.1 Permanent Access Easement – Private and Confidential Report
That Halifax Regional Council approve the recommendation as outlined in the private and confidential report dated November 7, 2017.
It is further recommended that the private and confidential report dated November 7, 2017not be released to the public.
Private and Confidential Information Items
1. Private and Confidential In Camera (In Private) Information Report - re: Administrative Order 50 Disposal of Surplus Real Property – PID 40028193 Gerard Island, Spry Bay
17. ADDED ITEMS
17.1 Audit and Finance Standing Committee – Winter 2017/18 Winter Funding for Snow Removal Program for Seniors [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council approve an increase to the Snow Removal Program for Seniors and Persons with Disabilities (the “Program”) in an amount up to $200,000, for a total 2017/18 operating budget of up to $600,000, with funding to be found through operating efficiencies within Transportation and Public Works, or if operating efficiencies cannot be achieved, through the Risk Reserves: General Contingency Reserve, Q421, as per the Financial Implications section of the staff report dated November 22, 2017.
17.2 Ratification from Committee of the Whole - 2017-2020 Multi-year Priority Outcome Update
That Halifax Regional Council direct staff to:
1. Proceed to prepare the 18/19 multi-year budget and business plan in support of Council’s Priority Outcomes and consistent with the Outcome Plans as presented or amended by Committee of the Whole.
2. Continue development of key performance indicators to inform progress in advancing Council’s Priority Outcomes.
3. Prioritize capital projects using Council’s six priority Outcome areas and specifically address
neighborhood walkways, sidewalks and pedestrian paths.
17.3 Ratification from Committee of the Whole – Integrated Mobility Plan (IMP)
That Halifax Regional Council:
1. Authorize the direction contained in the Integrated Mobility Strategy as a framework for amending the existing Regional Plan and developing new planning documents as may be necessary to implement the Integrated Mobility Plan direction.
2. That staff be directed to prepare a supplementary report regarding:
a) Amend the IMP to set the target date for the Bike Network minimum grid for completion by end of summer 2020 construction; and
b) Amend the IMP to set the target date for implementation of the Young/Robie Transit Priority corridors to fiscal 2020/21.
3. That Regional Council direct the IMP’s Integrated Team to report annually on progress made on the actions listed in the IMP to Council through the Transportation Standing Committee and that future staff reports to Council on transportation projects include the IMP’s Evaluation Scorecard”.
4. Direct staff to prepare the long-term capital outlook, funding options and priorities, as directed by Regional Council on October 3rd, 2017, to include the Integrated Mobility Plan, and return to Halifax Regional Council for discussion of the capital outlook and its implications.
5. That phased updates to the Municipal Design Guidelines (Redbook) be completed in 24 months beginning at the start of the 2018/2019 fiscal year and that staff report quarterly on progress to the Transportation Standing Committee.
6. That Council direct staff to include an implementation plan in the upcoming staff report on for Bayers & Gottingen Transit Priority corridors functional design to allow Council to consider construction in fiscal 2019/20.
18. NOTICES OF MOTION
December 5, 2017
1. Memorandum from the Director of Corporate and Customer Services dated November 8, 2017 re: Performance Excellence Update [PDF]
2. Memorandum from the Municipal Clerk dated November 27, 2017 re: Requests for Presentation to Council – Paul Arnold [PDF]