Time: 6:00 p.m.
Location: Council Chamber, 3rd Floor City Hall, 1841 Argyle Street, Halifax
Minutes: June 6, 2023 Halifax Regional Council Minutes (PDF)
1. CALL TO ORDER AND LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
2. SPECIAL COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – May 23, 2023
4. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND DELETIONS
5. CONSENT AGENDA*
That Halifax Regional Council approve recommendations in the following items: 15.1.2, 15.2.1, 15.3.1, 15.4.1 and 15.5.1.
6. BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF THE MINUTES
7. CALL FOR DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
8. MOTIONS OF RECONSIDERATION – NONE
9. MOTIONS OF RESCISSION – NONE
10. CONSIDERATION OF DEFERRED BUSINESS – NONE
11. NOTICES OF TABLED MATTERS – NONE
12. PUBLIC HEARINGS – 6:00 P.M.
12.1 By-law N-200, Respecting Noise – Exemption Request – St. Mary’s Boat Club [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council approve the St. Mary’s Boat Club’s application for an exemption from the provisions of the Noise By-Law pursuant to the contents of the staff report dated May 23, 2023.
12.2 Administrative Order 50 Disposal of Surplus Property – PID 40107138 - 9 Spring Street, Bedford
- Report [PDF]
- Presentation [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council approve the sale of the Property to the Nova Scotia Salmon Association and direct the Chief Administrative Officer to authorize the Mayor and Municipal Clerk to execute an Agreement of Purchase and Sale, a Buy-Back Agreement, and a Quit Claim Deed, and direct staff to complete the sale, all in accordance with the terms and conditions set out in Table 1 of the staff report dated April 13, 2023.
13. CORRESPONDENCE, PETITIONS & DELEGATIONS
14. INFORMATION ITEMS BROUGHT FORWARD – NONE
15.1 CHIEF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER
15.1.1 Second Reading Proposed By-Law U-113, An Amendment to By-Law U-100, Respecting User Charges – Electric Vehicle Charging Fees [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council adopt By-law U-113, amending By-law U-100, the User Charges By-law, as set out in Attachment 1 to the staff report dated April 3, 2023.
15.1.2 First Reading Proposed By-law U-114, an Amendment to By-law U-100, Respecting User Charges – Housekeeping Amendments to Transit Fares* [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council give First Reading to By-law U-114, amending Schedule 1 of By-law U-100, the User Charges By-law, as set out in Attachment B to the staff report dated May 25, 2023.
15.1.3 2023-2024 Events East Business Plan - Halifax Convention Centre & Ticket Atlantic [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council, in accordance with section 29 of the Halifax Convention Centre Act, Halifax Regional Council approve the 2023-2024 Events East Business Plan for the Halifax Convention Centre Corporation, submitted to the municipality March 27, 2023, as set out in Attachment 1 of the staff report dated May 31, 2023.
1.Direct the Chief Administrative Officer to submit a Housing Accelerator Fund Action Plan that includes the initiatives as generally outlined in Attachment A of the staff report dated June 3, 2023, along with all additional required documentation to the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation as the Municipality’s application under the Housing Accelerator Fund program; and
2.Authorize the Chief Administrative Officer to enter into any contribution agreements or amending agreements that may be required should the Municipality be approved for funding under the program.
15.2 AUDIT AND FINANCE STANDING COMMITTEE
15.2.1 Contract Amendments - Keshen Goodman Library Renovations* [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council:
1. Approve a transfer of $1,175,000 (net HST included) from Project Account No. CB190003 – Halifax North Memorial Public Library;
2. Approve a budget increase of $1,175,000 (net HST included) to Project Account No. CB190010 - Keshen Goodman Library Renovations;
3. Approve an increase of $362,359 (net HST included) to RFP 19-188, PO #2070834773 for changes to the contracted scope of work; and
4. Approve an increase of $10,550 (net HST included) to PO #2070856766 for changes in contracted scope of work, as outlined in the Financial Implications section of the staff report dated May 12, 2023.
15.3 TRANSPORTATION STANDING COMMITTEE
15.3.1 Almon Street AAA Bikeway Extension Options* [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council:
1. Direct the Chief Administrative Officer to monitor and evaluate use of the approved all ages and abilities east-west cycling corridor across the north end of the Halifax peninsula for a minimum of two years post-implementation and provide an update to the Transportation Standing Committee by 2026; and
2. Direct the Chief Administrative Officer to initiate a functional planning process to evaluate options to provide an all ages abilities cycling connection from Almon Street at Agricola Street to Gottingen Street as described in Table 1 of the Discussion section of the report dated April 19, 2023.
15.4 GRANTS COMMITTEE
15.4.1 HRM Community Grants Program: Fiscal 2023 – Recommended Awards* [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council approve sixty (60) awards as detailed in Attachment 2 of the staff report dated May 17, 2023 for a combined total of $473,275 from Operating Account M311-8004 Community Grants.
15.5 HERITAGE ADVISORY COMMITTEE
15.5.1 Case H00562: 2023-2024 Financial Incentives Program for Schmidtville and Old South Suburb Heritage Conservation Districts* [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council approve the proposed grant applications 24-001 through 24-005 and 24-007 through 24-009 listed in Attachment A of the staff report dated May 19, 2023, conditional upon the applicant’s compliance with sections 7 and 36-39 of Administrative Order Number 2020-005-ADM and the requirements specified in Attachment A of the staff report being satisfied.
15.6 SPECIAL EVENTS ADVISORY COMMITTEE
15.6.1 Proposed Amendments to Administrative Order 2014-020-GOV, Respecting Marketing Levy Special Event Reserve Grants – MLSER Grant Report 2023 [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council:
1. Adopt the amendments to Administrative Order 2014-020-GOV – Respecting Marketing Levy Special Event Reserve Grants as set out in Attachment 2 of the staff report dated April 26, 2023;
2. Approve total funding in the amount of $973,500 from the Community and Events Reserve, Q621, as proposed in the following categories:
a. Seven (7) Distinguished Event Grants for a total of $250,000 as identified in Table 1 of the staff report dated April 26, 2023;
b. Eleven (11) Signature Event Grants for a total of $573,500 as identified in Table 2 of the staff report dated April 26, 2023;
c. And one (1) Major Hosting Event (previously approved) for a total of $150,000 as identified in Table 2 of the staff report dated April 26, 2023;
3. Pending final approval of the 2024/25 budget, approve $573,500 for previously approved Signature Grants as identified in Table 3 of the staff report dated April 26, 2023;
4. Direct the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) to undertake a review of administrative Order 2014-020-GOV – Respecting Marketing Levy Special Event Grants and report through the Special Events Advisory Committee to Regional Council with proposed changes.
17. IN CAMERA (IN PRIVATE)
Council may rise and go into a private In Camera session, in accordance with Section 19 of the Halifax Regional Municipality Charter, for the purpose of dealing with the following:
17.1 In Camera (In Private) Minutes – May 9 & 23, 2023
That the In Camera (In Private) minutes of May 9 & 23, 2023 be approved as circulated.
18. ADDED ITEMS
18.1 Councillor Lovelace - Westwood Hills Egress
That Halifax Regional Council direct the Chief Administrative Officer to provide a staff report on developing egress for Westwood Hills Subdivision in Upper Tantallon.
19. NOTICES OF MOTION
June 6, 2023