NOTICE: Halifax Regional Police has implemented a number of precautionary measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and protect the wellbeing of our community. Check here for the latest information on temporary changes and/or alternate arrangements to access our non-emergency services.
Contact the Criminal Investigation Division
Contact the Criminal Investigation Division only if you need to speak to the investigator assigned to your case, or if an investigator has left a message or business card asking you to contact them.
Do not contact the Criminal Investigation Division to report a crime or for general inquiries.
Office hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- 902.490.1985: Financial Crime Unit
- 902.490.5180: General Investigation Section
- 902.490.5130: Special Enforcement Section: Drug Unit, Guns and Gangs Unit, Internet Child Exploitation Unit, Missing Persons, Vice Unit, High Risk Enforcement Action Team
- 902.490.5333: Special Investigation Section: Homicide Unit, Sexual Assault Investigative Team, Cold Case Unit
- visit: Criminal Investigation Division, 50 Garland Avenue, Dartmouth
Investigators work shifts and may not always be available during office hours.
What is the Criminal Investigation Division?
The Criminal Investigation Division is an integrated unit made up of Halifax Regional Police and RCMP officers and civilian employees.
Even if you live in Halifax Regional Police jurisdiction, your case may be handled by an RCMP investigator.
Investigators assigned to the Criminal Investigation Division dress in plain clothes and drive unmarked vehicles. Generally, they are called on to assist or take over the investigation from the patrol officers who initially responded to a call. Once assigned, investigators will use their special expertise, knowledge and skills to try to bring the case to a conclusion.
The Criminal Investigation Division is divided into four sections:
General Investigation Section
The General Investigation Section investigates:
- residential and commercial break and enters
- robberies/attempted robberies
- stolen motor vehicles
- serious assaults where patrol officers have not made an arrest during their initial response
- financial crime
Investigative Support Operations
The Investigative Support Operations provides the following support services to the division:
- crime analysis
- criminal intelligence
- cyber crime
- forensic identification
- polygraph examinations
Special Investigation Section
The Special Investigation Section investigates:
- attempted homicides
- serious assaults in which death may occur
- unsolved major cases
- sexual assaults
Special Enforcement Section
The Special Enforcement Section focuses on:
- drug trafficking
- firearm offences
- gang-related crime
- human trafficking
- online luring and exploitation of children
- missing persons
- high-risk offenders
- people with outstanding warrants