Grants and Funding for Municipally Registered Heritage Properties
The Heritage Incentives Program provides matching grants (50%) of up to $15,000 for residential properties and $25,000 for commercial properties to complete exterior conservation work on a municipally registered heritage property.
What is eligible?
In summary, most exterior conservation work is eligible, but the property must be:
- A municipally registered heritage property; and
- Used for residential or commercial purposes.
The following items are not eligible for funding:
- Work started before an application is made;
- Work that requires and has not received Substantial Alteration Approval;
- Work that staff determine is inconsistent with the heritage standards and guidelines and/or uses modern building materials (e.g., vinyl or aluminum windows, steel doors, vinyl siding, E.I.F.S. cladding, etc.); and
- Properties under investigation or prosecution for Land-use, Building or Fire Code, or Heritage Property Act violations, subject to an Order to Comply, or with liens or taxes outstanding.
Complete rules and requirements for this program are set out in Administrative Order 2014-002-ADM.
When is the application deadline?
Applications are accepted between September 1st and December 1st of each year.
How do I apply for this program?
To apply for this program, submit a completed application form (see above) along with the following supporting documentation:
- Recent photographs of all sides of the building, with attention taken to the areas of work for which the grant is applied;
- A minimum of two contractors cost estimates for the proposed work;
- Buildings governed by a condominium by-law must provide the board of directors’ minutes approving submission of the application; and
- Applicants may optionally include a Building Conservation Plan.
Applicants should contact heritage staff prior to submitting a grant application to determine whether the work proposed requires approval of substantial alterations or a certificate of appropriateness.
Who do I contact to submit my application or ask questions?
Applications or questions pertaining to the Heritage Incentives Program should be submitted to:
Planning & Development - Heritage
PO Box 1749
Halifax, NS B3A 3J5
If you cannot email or mail your application, please deliver your application in-person to our customer service counter (3rd Floor Duke Tower, Scotia Square, 5251 Duke Street).
How are applications prioritized?
The Heritage Incentives Program evaluates all applications, but prioritizes applications according to the criteria in Section 21 of Administrative Order 2014-002-ADM.