If your taxes are paid up-to-date and you don’t pay your taxes with your mortgage, you're eligible to apply for a preauthorized payment plan. The municipality has two preauthorized payment plans for you to choose from.
Tax due date option
Your taxes are automatically debited from your account on the interim and final due dates. The due dates are normally the last business day of April and the last business day of October each year.
Monthly or bi-weekly withdrawal option
This program is a substitute for post-dated cheques. To assist in budgeting; this program can be used to make regular monthly or bi-weekly payments on your accounts.
The Pre-Authorized Payment Enrolment Form must be signed indicating the type of withdrawal, monthly or bi-weekly amount and date the payment is to be withdrawn. The amount will be automatically transferred from your Canadian financial institution to your account with us. You will receive your regular billings to maintain your payment records.
Interest will be charged on outstanding balances at a rate of 15 percent annually (simple daily interest)
If your PAP returns from the bank, a fee of $40.00 is applied to your account. Two Returned automatic debits will result in removal from the program.
If you have a payment posting inquiry, questions, or comments you may phone 311 (within the municipality) or 1.800.835.6428 (NS only) or you may email us at
How to apply for a preauthorized payment plan
Complete the pre-authorized payment form [PDF] and return it, along with a void cheque, at least 15 business days prior to the date you would like to start automatic withdrawals.
Halifax Regional Municipality
PO Box 1749
Fax: 902.490.4005 (attention: Cash Management)
By email: email@example.com
Attach the saved PDF the enrolment form and a scanned void cheque/official banking information.
Important information regarding the program
- To change your banking information, contact Cash Management and provide a new void Canadian cheque at least 15 business days prior to your next monthly payment.
- To cancel your pre-authorized payments and/or if you sell your property, you must notify Cash Management at least 15 business days prior to the next scheduled payment is required.
- If your final bill has an amount owing, it must be paid by the final bill due date.
- Interest will be charged on outstanding balances at a rate of 15 per cent annually (simple daily interest).
- If your pre-authorized payment is returned from the bank, a fee of $40 is applied to your account. Two returned automatic debits will result in removal from the program.
Contact Cash Management
Questions about making pre-authorized payments?
Phone: 311 or 1.800.835.6428 (within Nova Scotia only)