The Youth Advocate Program encourages vulnerable youth aged 9-15 to engage in pro-social behaviours.
By referring a youth into the program, you will be giving them the opportunity to work with professionals in the community, in all facets of life, to find strength and support. This program is voluntary.
How do I refer a youth?
- Fill out an online referral application online and a member of the Youth Advocate Program will contact you within one week
- Contact the Intake & Assessment Coordinator directly at 902.817.7530 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: A referral does not guarantee acceptance to the program. All information will be kept confidential.
How does the Youth Advocate Program work?
The Youth Advocate Program is family-centered, which means it looks to and works with the family of the youth to provide coordinated support. The program’s goal is to reduce the key risk factors—isolation, stress, negative rushes—that make young people vulnerable to engaging in criminal behavior.
By connecting youth to existing community programs and support, the Youth Advocate Program increases self-reliance, resiliency, life skills, and social skills by engaging youth in constructive behaviors with family, school and community.
The program is aimed at children and youth aged 9-15 years old. It has a maximum of 45 participants at any given time. It works closely with primary caregivers and anyone who has the youth’s best interests at heart, and always privately, confidentially, and with the consent of the family.
A Youth Advocate Worker will work directly with the youth—about five times a week—and their family, building on the youth’s strengths and enveloping them with the support services of their community. Together they will build the skills and confidence required to withstand pressures to become involved in criminal activity.
Pre-Screening for the Youth Advocate Program
1. Is the youth between the ages of 9 and 15 at the time of referral? If YES, please proceed.
2. Plug the youth’s address into the search bar in the map below. Do they live within the program boundaries? If YES, please proceed.
3. Does the youth experience one of the following high-risk factors? If YES, please proceed.
- Involvement in criminality/Frequently in trouble with the law/Regular interactions with police
- Sexually exploitative behaviours
- Violent behaviours
- Involvement in theft
- Selling drugs or alcohol
4. Proceed to the online referral application at the bottom of the page. Referral does not guarantee acceptance. Once the referral form is completed, staff will reach out within one week.
Note: If you answered NO to any of these questions, please see what other resources are available.
Youth Advocate Program Communities
For mobile use, full sized map or issues loading the map, use this link.
What is the Youth Advocate Program all about?
Check out our program videos:
Required fields are marked with an asterisk (*)