Want to apply for a permit or a subdivision application?
How can you help us get to your permit application faster?
• Submit complete applications (online form and email documents on the same day) follow the steps outlined below. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
• Submit revisions only after a permit application number has been assigned.
• Keep permit status inquiries to a minimum. We are working on processing permit applications and will only respond to permit status inquiries once the completed application has been in the system for more than 15 business days.
Our online process has changed! Please see the updated steps below:
STEP 1. Submission of Form: Read all the steps, then fill in the form below to submit your request.
*NEW* - STEP 2. Submission of application information: Once you have filled in and submitted the form below, send all required documentation and associated plans, right away, via email, to firstname.lastname@example.org and make sure to include:
- Subject Line containing: The name as it will appear on the Application Submission form being submitted below, and the address or PID of the work site. Example: Jane Doe - 123 Harbour Street, Halifax or PID 41258744
- Documentation: Review the links within the required documentation specific to each to type of permit. Documents must be in PDF, Word or JPG format and cannot exceed 30MB.
- Contact name and number: Name and phone number of the contact person for further communications related to this permit.
STEP 3. Customer Contact: Once your required documentation is received, you will be contacted to:
- Review what has been submitted
- Advise of fees and any additional information that may be required
- Discuss payment options
An email with the information discussed and a fee summary will then be sent to you for your records.
Note: Please check your spam and junk mail folder throughout the process of your permit.
STEP 4. Payment:
- If paying by credit card or wire transfer, a Customer Service Representative will contact you for payment.
- If paying by cheque:
- Make cheque payable to Halifax Regional Municipality
- Include the application number and contact number at the bottom of the cheque
- Drop off at one of the 2 available Customer Service Drop-box locations:
- Bayers Road: Located on 1st floor, beside the convenience store, across from the TD Bank
- Alderney Drive: Outside the Customer Service counter
STEP 5. Inspections: If inspections are required, call 902-490-7097 to request an inspection before 7:00 a.m. on the day you wish to have the inspection.
What to Expect:
Our current processing times for low complexity, complete applications (minimal revisions required) is an average of 15 business days due to the high volume of requests and changes made to our workflows as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic. Additional time will be required for review and issuance of applications that are high complexity, deemed not complete/additional information is requested, or when extensive revisions are needed.
Throughout this difficult time, the safety of our staff and customers remain our top priority, and for that reason, our offices at Bayers Rd in Halifax, and Alderney in Dartmouth remain closed until further notice. Please watch halifax.ca for updates on the reopening of offices.