Want to apply for a subdivision application or variance?
Please note: this page is for subdivision and variance applications only.
Beginning on December 15, 2020 permits applications will be available on our new permitting system.
Review these helpful tips first:
• Review information on the Subdivision of Land Page to determine requirements and type of application.
• Submit complete applications – complete online form and email documents on the same day, by following the steps outlined below. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
• Submit revisions only after a subdivision application number has been assigned.
• Keep subdivision status inquiries to a minimum. We will only respond to permit status inquiries once the complete application has been in the system for more than 15 business days.
STEP 1. Submission of Form: Read all the steps, then fill in the form below.
STEP 2. Submission of application information: Once the form is submitted, send all required documentation and associated plans, as soon as possible, via email, which must include:
• Subject Line containing: The name as it appears on the Application Submission form being submitted below, and the address or PID (Not Lot Numbers) of the subdivision site. Example: Jane Doe - 123 Harbour Street, Halifax or PID 41258744
• Documentation: Must be in PDF, Word or JPG format and cannot exceed 30MB.
• Contact name and number: Name and phone number of the contact person for further communications related to this application.
STEP 3. Customer Contact: Once your required documentation is received, you will be contacted to:
• Review what has been submitted
• Advise of any applicable fees and any additional information that may be required
• Discuss payment options
An email with the information discussed and a fee summary, if applicable, will then be sent for your record. Note: Please check your spam and junk mail folder throughout the subdivision process.
STEP 4. Payment:
· If paying by credit card or wire transfer, a Customer Service Representative will be in contact for payment.
· If paying in person (contact 902-490-5650 for availability):
Visit one of our 2 available Customer Service Locations:
• Bayers Rd: 2nd Floor – Suite 2005
• 40 Alderney Dr – 1st floor
· If paying by cheque:
1. Make cheque payable to Halifax Regional Municipality
2. Include the application number and contact number at the bottom of the cheque
3. Drop off at one of the 2 available Customer Service Drop-box locations:
Bayers Road: Located on 1st floor, beside the convenience store, across from the TD Bank
Alderney Drive: Outside the Customer Service counter