The Volunteer Conference is an opportunity for volunteers to connect, celebrate, and learn relevant skills to build stronger volunteer capacity throughout the municipality. Delegates representing a variety of organizations and causes will participate in two training workshops, networking activities, and enjoy a keynote speech and seated meal. This year’s workshops will cover topics such as: treasurer 101, inclusion, meeting changing community needs, self-care, funding, being an active neighbour, cultural awareness, working together in partnerships, project management, and building better teams.
When: Friday, November 17, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Where: Delta Hotel, 240 Brownlow Ave, Dartmouth, NS
See the hotel virtual walk-through
Register online at halifax.ca/myREC using course code 00077457 or call the registration line at 902.490.6666. Deadline to register is November 12.
Keynote Speaker, Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane is a Trans Black activist and public speaker. She speaks and educates about her lived experience through her intersectionality. Chris works toward creating spaces for QTBIPOC people, as well as working with 2SLGBTQIA+ youth to ensure those spaces will be upheld for years to come.
Currently she is The Support Service Educator for The Youth Project. Chris is the former Vice Chair of Halifax Pride (2020-2022) where she uses that platform to ensure equity for all of the community, while focusing on our marginalized and racialized communities.
She is also known as her drag persona Elle Noir where she is as fierce on stage as she is in her activism.
What our past participants have said about the annual conference:
- “...I really look forward to it every year. I find it really inspiring and energizing.”
- “Great experience. I learn something new every time I attend.”
- “Exceeded my expectations”
- “Great variety of topics. Excellent networking opportunities...”
- “It was very informative and a lot of fun!”
- “Always an amazing opportunity to network and learn”
- “Amazing!...I feel energized and excited to put to use all the suggestions and strategies I learned.”