Properties no longer required for use by the Halifax Regional Municipality may be declared surplus by Regional Council and disposed of in accordance with the Policy Administrative Order 50, (AO50) - Community Interest Category. Community Interest properties are those known to have potential for community use where:
- there has been a prior community or institutional use of the property
- by location or scarcity of available property the consideration for community use would reasonably arise
Opportunities to purchase surplus municipal properties approved through the Community Interest category are only available to Registered Non-Profit Organizations and Registered Charities.
Please note there are no surplus properties being sold through an open call for submissions
A Community Interest Direct sale consideration has been approved by Council. Details can be found here.
Program Materials below are listed for information purposes only (Templates):
- Sale of Surplus Property: Community Interest Guidebook
- Call for Submissions/Application Template
- Staff Evaluation Guidelines
All inquiries should be directed to AO50@Halifax.ca