You don’t always have to file a formal application for access to records to find what you’re looking for.
The municipality has a Routine Access Policy, which is designed to provide individuals with the opportunity to obtain certain records without the requirement for a formal access application. There are two ways that records are routinely released:
Active dissemination is when groups within the municipal government periodically and proactively release information or records online, through libraries, or via other means, without any requests. These can include municipal policies, employee travel expenses, statistical information about municipal operations, descriptions of jobs, etc.
Routine access is when groups regularly or automatically release—in full or in part—certain types of records in response to a request for records under the Municipal Government Act (Part XX) These include items like permits and inspection reports.
These groups within the municipality are called business units. Each business unit has its own routine disclosure plan, which identifies what type of records, within the custody and control of each business unit, may be accessed under routine access or active dissemination.
See the routine disclosure plans for the following business units to learn the types of materials you can access without a formal request:
- Chief Administrative Office
- Corporate & Customer Services
- Finance, Asset Management and Information, Communications & Technology
- Halifax Regional Fire & Emergency
- Halifax Regional Police
- Halifax Transit
- Human Resources
- Legal & Legislative Services
- Parks and Recreation
- Planning and Development
- Transportation and Public Works
Should you wish to submit an informal request for information listed in one of our Routine Disclosure Plans, the link to the request form can be found within each Disclosure Plan.
Before submitting an application for routine access, remember:
- A request submitted through a Request for Routine Access must be for a reasonable quantity of records – no more than 50 pages, otherwise an Access to Information Application will be required.
- The records will be processed within a reasonable time frame, but no later than 30 days from the receipt of application.
- Routine Disclosure Plans and Requests for Routine Access apply to information created after November 2012.