Search below for volunteer opportunities in Halifax.
You can also search the following external websites for local volunteer opportunities.
Do you have a volunteer opportunity that you want residents to know about? Send the details of the opportunity to Volunteer Services and make sure to include:
- job title
- job description
- contact name
- contact phone number
- contact email address
If approved, your volunteer opportunity will be posted to the Halifax website.
Your posting will be taken down after 4 weeks unless you contact us to request additional posting time.
Job title: Sales Associate - Nova Scotia SPCA ‘Santa Paws 2018’ Fundraiser
Job description: Help raise money for animal rescue by volunteering your time to the Nova Scotia SPCA. Volunteers are needed to work 4 to 5 hour shifts at sales booths located in two local malls: Halifax Shopping Centre in Halifax and Sunnyside Mall in Bedford. Tasks include interacting with and selling gifts for cats and dogs to shoppers, at the mall booths. Our booths will be open from December 7 to December 23. The dates and times of shifts at the two locations can be found in our sign up sheet.
Note that volunteers must be 16 years of age or older.
Show your support for animal welfare by signing up today! The success of the SPCA ‘Santa Paws 2018’ Fundraiser depends on the generosity of supporters like you, who volunteer their time. To register for work times, click here and complete the following steps.
- Select your shifts by clicking on 'Sign Up'
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on 'Submit and Sign Up'
- On the next page, enter your name, email, and phone number
- Click 'Sign Up Now' to confirm
If you are not able to work a shift that you have signed up for, please follow the cancellation instructions on the sign up sheet, so that the booth will not be unattended.
Job title: Frontline Volunteer
Job description: Out of the Cold works to provide shelter and a community drop-in space for people who are homeless or precariously housed in the HRM. Frontline volunteers work directly with our guests; tasks include serving meals, conducting intakes, helping people find dry/warm clothes from the donation room, and chatting with guests. Volunteers are an integral part of staffing the shelter, and create a safe and welcoming environment for our guests.
Contact name: Rachael Gardiner
Contact email address: email@example.com
Job Title: Office Assistant(s)
Job Description: Are you interested in gaining skills at a local non-profit? The Nature Trust is looking for individuals who can commit a morning or an afternoon each week to help with data entry and database maintenance, as well as the odd office task (mail outs, filing, etc.). Knowledge of MS Office (specifically Excel) is required, and knowledge of Raiser’s Edge software is considered an asset. Individuals must have keen attention to detail, organizational skills and the ability to work independently. Training and support will be provided. Help us in our mission to protect Nova Scotia’s natural legacy!
Contact Name: Ryan MacLean
Contact Phone: (902) 425-5263
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Job title: Volunteer Driver
Job description: Hospice Halifax is partnering with VON to find volunteer drivers. The goal is to make transportation easier for seniors and persons with disabilities.
Contact name: Linden Hardie
Contact phone number: (902) 446-0929
Contact email address: email@example.com
The Halifax Regional Municipality is providing this website as a resource for those seeking to volunteer to better their community. The Municipality is not responsible for any entity listed on this website, nor for the quality of volunteer opportunity. The Municipality does not endorse, sponsor, or validate the opportunities posted here.
Organizations meeting the below criteria may request the use of this site to post volunteer opportunities. Halifax Regional Municipality reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to refuse and/or remove any volunteer posting.
Please ensure that your volunteer opportunity meets the following criteria before you submit.
1. The organization you are submitting from must be one of the following:
• “A non-profit organization that is a registered charity, or incorporated under the Societies Act of Nova Scotia or similar”.
• An organization that is hosting a community event located in Nova Scotia, preferably Halifax; or
• A Canadian public, municipal, provincial or federal government office or service within Halifax.
2. The volunteer opportunity must address the needs of the Nova Scotian, preferably Halifax, community, and create a positive impact on the community.
3. The following are not accepted:
• Paid positions.
• Positions that charge a fee to participate.
• Positions that take place outside of Nova Scotia or are supervised from outside of Nova Scotia.
• Positions that resemble internships, either paid or unpaid.