Taxi By-law and Administrative Order FAQ
When is the new By-Law and Administrative Order effective?
• The new By-Law and Administrative Order came into effect on Saturday, September 28, 2019.
I want to know where I am on the new combined waitlist?
• The new combined waitlist will be based on date of application so the last number you received may have changed. Call 311 to request your waitlist position.
I’m on the waitlist, when will I get my roof light offer?
• Offers will be sent out in batches every few months via registered mail. This process will take a few years. Your offer is dependent on where you are on the combined waitlist.
I had a Dartmouth roof light but was on the list for a Halifax roof light what happens now?
• Nothing, you will be removed from the waitlist as your existing roof light allows you to operate in any of the former zones.
Elimination of zones and roof light changes
What does the elimination of zones mean?
• Taxi drivers can pick up and drop off anywhere in the municipality, any day or time.
Do I need to do anything with my existing zone-specific roof light?
• No, you can keep your zone-specific roof light, the municipality is not requiring a change. However, if you want to change the colour to a white roof light you may do so.
Age of Vehicle
I currently have a vehicle licensed that is more than 10 years old, do I need a new vehicle?
• No, you are not required to change your vehicle that is currently licensed.
I am buying a new vehicle; how old can it be?
• At time of licensing the vehicle cannot be more than 10 years old.
I’m applying to be a new driver, how do I sign up for the mandatory sensitivity training?
• When the training becomes available the information will be in the step by step guide here.
I’m a new driver, how do I know which winter driving course is acceptable?
• The Taxi Office will provide a list of acceptable courses when this information becomes available here.
I’m a Taxi or Limousine Driver/Owner, do I have to take the sensitivity or winter driving training?
• The training is not mandatory however under the by-law the Taxi Office is able to request you to take training at any time.
GPS and Debit/Credit
GPS and Debit/Credit machines are due to be installed in all taxi and accessible taxis by March 28, 2020. Following this date, any vehicle inspections completed by the Taxi Office will look for both items.
36.2A Every global positioning system must:
(a) be capable of tracking and locating the position of a vehicle;
(b) include a vehicle location system;
(c) be equipped with an emergency call button;
(d) be fully operational at all times when the vehicle is available for hire to the public; and
(e) be capable of storing data that shall be shared, upon request, with the Licensing Authority.
The GPS system must be able to store data. If you would like confirmation that the system you are purchasing is approved by the Licensing Authority please phone 311.
The below options may be able to provide the GPS system for purchase:
- Some brokers may have options available to purchase the GPS through their business. Please contact a broker to see if this service is available for purchase.
- HiTech Communications
- Northern Business Intelligence
- Drive Products
- Atlantic Alarm Sound
If you would like confirmation that the system you are purchasing is approved by the Licensing Authority, please phone 311.
Every taxi and accessible taxi must have a working debit/credit machine.
Child Abuse Registry
Where do I get the Child Abuse Registry check completed?
• The Department of Community Services completes the Child Abuse Registry request. The form is available online and can be sent by mail. You may also drop off the application to 5675 Spring Garden Road, Halifax, Nova Scotia. A photocopy of a valid piece of I.D. is required with the application and it will take up to 10 business days for processing.
When do I need to get the Child Abuse Registry Check?
• You will need to obtain the Child Abuse Registry Check prior to submitting your renewal documents to the Customer Service Centre. Please note it takes up to 10 business days for you to receive it back, and 5 business days for your renewal documents to be processed, please make sure you allow enough time to renew.