You don’t need a license for
- sandwich board signs on private property
- short-term signs on private property
- light standard signs on private property
- light standard banners on private property
- election signs
How do I apply for a temporary sign licence?
Complete a Temporary Sign Licence Application [PDF] and submit it to any Municipal Customer Service Centre.
You need to file a separate application for each sign license, and each application must include:
- name of the applicant
- written consent from the owner of the premises, if other than the applicant proof of insurance for sandwich boards in the street right of way
- a site plan that shows the location and type of the proposed sign in relation to curb and sidewalk, if applicable
- a graphic design, drawn to metric scale showing the design and construction material of the sign payment of fees
- please review the variable message sign guidelines[PDF] to ensure you are adhering to requirements
How long will it take to obtain a license?
Every effort is made to issue a license in five business days. Call 311 to inquire about the status of your application.