Name: Respecting the Use of Lakes
ORDINANCE NUMBER 158
CITY OF HALIFAX
RESPECTING THE USE OF LAKES
BE IT ENACTED by the City Council of the City of Halifax under authority of Clause (j) of Section 582 of the Halifax City Charter, being Chapter 52 of the Acts of Nova Scotia of 1963 as amended by Section 16 of Chapter 91 of the Acts of 1970, as follows:
1. This Ordinance shall be known as Ordinance Number 158 and may be cited as the "Lakes Ordinance".
2. In this Ordinance:
(a) "lake" means any lake, pond, river or other body of fresh water situated wholly or partly within the City of Halifax;
(b) "power boat" includes any vessel ship, boat, craft, amphibious vehicle, aeroplane or other craft used or designed to be used in navigation which is equipped with or is propelled by a motor; and
(c) "snow vehicle" means a self-propelled or motorized vehicle designed to be driven exclusively or chiefly on snow or ice or both.
3. (1) No person shall operate or allow to be operated on any lake any power boat.
(2) This section shall not apply to Kearney Lake.
(3) No person shall operate or allow to be operated on that part of Kearney Lake within the City of Halifax any power boat having a larger than 10 horsepower motor.
(4) Notwithstanding subsection (3), a power boat having a greater than 10 horsepower motor may be launched or stored on that part of Kearney Lake within the City of Halifax and may be operated on that part of the lake for the sole purpose of travelling between the point of launching or storage to the City boundary or visa versa, provided that
(a) the person operating the power boat utilizes the most direct route between the point of launching or storage and the City boundary; and
(b) the power boat is not operated at a speed greater than 10 kilometres per hour.
4. No person shall operate or allow to be operated on any lake any snow vehicle.
5. Every person who violates or fails to comply with any provision of this Ordinance shall, for each such offence, be liable to a penalty not exceeding five hundred dollars and in default of payment to imprisonment for a period not exceeding sixty days.
6. (1) The provisions of this Ordinance shall not apply to the operation of a power boat or snow vehicle if being used in the undertaking of any public project on behalf of any government or governmental agency.
(2) The provisions of this Ordinance shall not apply to the operation of a power boat or snow vehicle if being used by a police officer in the lawful execution of his duty.
Notice of Motion to Introduce: August 14, 1975
First Reading: August 28, 1975
Committee of the Whole Council: September 3, 3975
Second Reading: September 11, 1975
Approval of M.M.A.: May 16, 1978