Time: 1:00 p.m.
Location: Halifax Hall, 2nd Floor City Hall, 1841 Argyle Street, Halifax
Minutes: December 13, 2018 Transportation Standing Committee Minutes (PDF)
1. CALL TO ORDER
2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – November 29, 2018
3. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND DELETIONS
4. BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF THE MINUTES
5. CALL FOR DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
6. MOTIONS OF RECONSIDERATION – NONE
7. MOTIONS OF RESCISSION – NONE
8. CONSIDERATION OF DEFERRED BUSINESS – NONE
9. NOTICES OF TABLED MATTERS – NONE
10. CORRESPONDENCE, PETITIONS & DELEGATIONS
11. INFORMATION ITEMS BROUGHT FORWARD – NONE
That the Transportation Standing Committee request Regional Council to direct staff to:
1. Continue Municipal funding support for volunteer community assocations who plan, build, maintain and promote active transportation facilities in the municipality;
2. Develop an Administartive Order for Regional Council’s consideration that updates roles and responsibilities and establishes a Municipal grant/contribution program to support the work of such associations; and
3. Consult with community associations, the provincial government, the Halifax Regional Trails Assocition, HRM officials and other stakeholders in the development of this proposed Administrative Order on key issues as outlined in the discussion section of the August 10, 2018 staff report.
That the Transportation Standing Committee recommend that Halifax Regional Council direct staff to continue with the implementation of Route 89 and Route 189 as approved in the Moving Forward Together Plan.
12.1.3 Mumford Transit Terminal Replacement Assessment Study [PDF] - *Revised - December 12, 2018*
That the Transportation Standing Committee recommend that Halifax Regional Council:
1. Approve the new location of the Mumford Terminal at the Halifax Shopping Centre as generally shown in Attachment A of the staff report dated October 31, 2018 - Mumford Transit Terminal: Replacement Assessment Study – Final Report;
2. Direct staff to continue to negotiate with Cushman and Wakefield, the Halifax Shopping Centre's property managers, for commitment to support the location of the new Mumford Terminal as outlined in the staff report dated October 31, 2018; and
3. Direct staff to proceed with a revised functional plan once an agreement has been reached with Cushman and Wakefield.
12.2 MEMBERS OF THE TRANSPORTATION STANDING COMMITTEE – NONE
12.3 ACTIVE TRANSPORTATION ADVISORY COMMITTEE – NONE
13.1 Councillor Mason
That the Transportation Standing Committee request a staff report regarding the reduction of the number of Councillors appointed to the Active Transportation Advisory Committee from three to one.
13.2 Councillor Mason
That the Transportation Standing Committee request a staff report regarding the elimination of the requirement to press a pedestrian push button to trigger a walk signal for pedestrians throughout HRM.
14. IN CAMERA (IN PRIVATE)
14.1 Approval of In Camera (In Private) Minutes – November 29, 2018
That the Transportation Standing Committee approve the November 29, 2018 In Camera (In private) minutes as circulated.
15. ADDED ITEMS
That the Transportation Standing Committee request a staff recommendation report that investigates the advantages, disadvantages, and feasibility of allowing vehicles displaying accessible parking identification license plates or permits to park at on-street parking meters, or other forms of on-street payment as they are introduced, without putting a coin in the meter or paying during the hours of legal operation. In addition, staff should research other jurisdictions for best practices and exemptions that should be implemented in Halifax for accessible parking.
16. NOTICES OF MOTION
17. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
18. DATE OF NEXT MEETING – January 24, 2019, Halifax City Hall, 1841 Argyle Street, Halifax – 1:00 p.m.
1. Information report from the Legislative Assistant dated December 5, 2018 re: Presentation Requests [PDF]
2. Information report from the Director of Halifax Transit dated October 9, 2018 re: Relocation of Express Buses from Gottingen Street [PDF]
3. Information report from the Director of Transportation and Public Works dated October 12, 2018 re: Feasibility of Red Light Cameras and Electronic Speed Detection Services [PDF]
4. Information report from the Director of Transportation and Public Works dated November 21, 2018 re: Pool Road and Church Point Road Crosswalk [PDF]
5. Information report from the Director of Transportation and Public Works dated October 31, 2018 re: Parking Roadmap Implementation Study [PDF]
6. Information report from the Director of Planning and Development dated October 2, 2018 re: Complete Streets Approach and Traffic Supplement Update [PDF]