There will be a live broadcast of the Transportation Standing Committee meeting's audio and all PowerPoint presentations made during the meeting.
Viewing Live Webcasts for Virtual Meetings - Detailed Instructions [PDF]
In accordance with the July 29, 2020 direction of the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing under section 14 of the Emergency Management Act, this meeting is being held virtually. Draft minutes of this meeting will be made available on halifax.ca within three business days.
1. CALL TO ORDER
2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – January 21, 2021
3. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND DELETIONS
4. BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF THE MINUTES
5. CALL FOR DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
6. MOTIONS OF RECONSIDERATION – NONE
7. MOTIONS OF RESCISSION – NONE
8. CONSIDERATION OF DEFERRED BUSINESS – January 21, 2021
8.1 Pedestrian Push Buttons [PDF]
That the Transportation Standing Committee recommend that the Traffic Authority:
1. Implement changes to traffic signal programming at 93 signalized intersections to activate automatic display of the pedestrian walk signal without requiring pedestrians to use the push button for all crosswalks (23 locations) or side street only crosswalks (70 locations) as indicated in Attachment 1 of the January 12, 2021 report; and
2. Adjust activation times at 144 signalized intersections such that the push button will not be required to be pressed to activate the pedestrian signal between 6 am and midnight (12 am), except to activate the audible tone where Accessible Pedestrian Signals are also present; and
3. Adjust the programming of the Accessible Pedestrian Signals at all locations to remove the requirement for the push button to be held for 3 seconds to activate the audible tone and allow for single press activation.
Staff Presentation [PDF]
9. NOTICES OF TABLED MATTERS – NONE
10. CORRESPONDENCE, PETITIONS & DELEGATIONS
11. INFORMATION ITEMS BROUGHT FORWARD – NONE
12.1.1 2021 / 22 Student Transit Pass Pilot Program [PDF]
That the Transportation Standing Committee recommend that Halifax Regional Council:
1. Approve the Student Transit Pass Pilot Program as described in the February 1, 2021 report; and
2. Adopt By-law U-108, the purpose of which is to amend By-law U-100, the User Charges By-law, to enable the Student Transit Pass Pilot Program, as set out in Attachment C of the February 1, 2021 report.
Staff Presentation [PDF]
12.1.2 Winter Maintenance to Walking Paths in Regional Parks [PDF]
That the Transportation Standing Committee recommend that Regional Council direct the Chief Administrative Officer to:
1. Add Sir Sandford Fleming Park Seawall Pathway to the regional park pathways that are winter maintained in 21/22 winter works season;
2. Approve the Park Snow and Ice Removal Guidelines (Attachment 2) for all regional park pathways receiving winter maintenance;
3. Include the paving of main pathways in Sandy Lake Park, First Lake Regional Park and Africville Park for consideration in the 2022/23 capital budget deliberations to further winter maintenance capabilities; and
4. Undertake a review of the park pathways and guidelines in 5 years in association with the review of Transportation and Public Works winter operations service review standards previously approved by Council.
12.2 ACTIVE TRANSPORTATION ADVISORY COMMITTEE – NONE
12.3 MEMBERS OF THE TRANSPORTATION STANDING COMMITTEE – NONE
13. MOTIONS – NONE
14. IN CAMERA (IN PRIVATE) – NONE
15. ADDED ITEMS
16. NOTICES OF MOTION – NONE
17. DATE OF NEXT MEETING – March 25, 2021 at 1:00 p.m.
1. Information report from the Legislative Assistant dated February 16, 2021 re: Presentation Requests [PDF]
For further information regarding this meeting, please contact Andrea Lovasi-Wood, Legislative Assistant at email@example.com or 902-490-6732.