1. CALL TO ORDER
2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – June 21, 2018
3. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND
4. BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF THE MINUTES
5. CALL FOR DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
6. MOTIONS OF RECONSIDERATION – NONE
7. MOTIONS OF RESCISSION – NONE
8. CONSIDERATION OF DEFERRED BUSINESS
8.1 June 21, 2018 - Halifax Green Network Plan [PDF] [40 MB]
- Regional Watersheds Advisory Board Memo re: endorsement of the proposed Halifax Green Network Plan [PDF]
That the Community Planning & Economic Development Standing Committee
recommend that Regional Council:
1. Authorize the direction contained in the Halifax Green Network Plan, as contained in Attachment A of the June 12, 2018 staff report, as a framework for amending the existing Regional Plan and Secondary Planning Strategies, and developing new planning documents as may be necessary to implement the Halifax Green Network Plan direction;
2. Direct staff to carry out the actions contained in the Halifax Green Network Plan as part of the multi-year budgeting and business planning process.
3. Request that the Province amend the Halifax Regional Municipality Charter, as set out in Actions
18 and 61 of the Halifax Green Network Plan, to:
(a) enable the Municipality to acquire sensitive environmental lands (e.g. riparian areas, wetlands, steep slopes, etc.) as an environmental reserve through the land development and subdivision process, in addition to existing parkland dedication provisions; and
(b) enable a greater range of legislative abilities, such as the ability to enact parkland dedication requirements based on density to address development that does not include the subdivision of land.
4. Initiate the process to consider amendments to the Regional Municipal Planning Strategy (RMPS) to support the Halifax Green Network Plan (HGNP) by referencing the HGNP within the conservation design development agreement policy criteria concerning the connectivity of open
5. Adopt, by policy, the Public Participation Program outlined in the Community Engagement section of the staff report dated June 12, 2018.
9. NOTICES OF TABLED MATTERS – NONE
10. CORRESPONDENCE, PETITIONS & DELEGATIONS
10.3.1 Jessie Jollymore, Hope Blooms - Hope Blooms Global Kitchen for Social Change [PDF]
11. INFORMATION ITEMS BROUGHT FORWARD – NONE
12.1.1 Mobile Food Market – Long Term Support [PDF]
-Staff Presentation [PDF]
That Community Planning and Economic Development Standing Committee recommend that Regional Council:
1. Approve the continued support for the Mobile Food Market through in-kind contributions for Years 3-5 (2018-2019 to 2020-2021), as outlined in this report, including the addition of a staff member to the Mobile Food Market Advisory Team in Year 3 (2018-2019);
2. Authorize the CAO to approve and enter into agreements with Mobile Food Market partners regarding the use of HRM transit and fleet vehicles;
3. Direct staff to evaluate the option of donation of an HRM vehicle in Year 4 (2019-2020); and
4. Direct staff to explore further options, and report to Council in Year 5 (2020-2021) with a recommendation for Council’s consideration, regarding the long-term support of the Mobile Food Market.
12.2 MEMBERS OF STANDING COMMITTEE
12.2.1 Councillor Smith – Link Performing Arts Society – Update to Capital Request [PDF]
That the Community Planning and Economic Development refer the correspondence from the Link Performing Arts Society dated June 26, 2018 for consideration in the staff report requested by the Community Planning and Economic Development Standing Committee on May 16, 2018.
12.3 HERITAGE ADVISORY COMMITTEE – NONE
12.4 COMMUNITY DESIGN ADVISORY COMMITTEE – NONE
13. MOTIONS – NONE
14. IN CAMERA (IN PRIVATE)
14.1 Approval of In Camera Minutes – June 21, 2018
That the Community Planning and Economic Development Standing Committee approve the In Camera (In Private) Minutes of June 21, 2018 as circulated.
15. ADDED ITEMS
15.1 Affordable Housing Work Plan [PDF]
That the Community Planning & Economic Standing Committee recommend that Halifax Regional Council direct staff to proceed with the initiatives contained in the Affordable Housing Work Plan, as set out in Attachment B of the staff report dated June 21, 2018.
16. NOTICES OF MOTION
17. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
18. DATE OF NEXT MEETING – September 20, 2018 – Council Chamber, 3rd Floor City Hall, 1841 Argyle Street, Halifax – 10:00 a.m.
1. Information report from the Legislative Assistant dated July 11, 2018 re: Presentation Requests [PDF]
2. Information report from the Director of Human Resources dated June 22, 2018 re: Welcoming Newcomers Action Plan Update [PDF]
3. Information report from the Director of Legal, Municipal Clerk and External Affairs dated June 18, 2018 re: Engage Nova Scotia Update [PDF]