Would you like to speak during Public Participation?
If you’d like to speak during Public Participation, contact the Municipal Clerk's Office no later than 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday June 23, 2021 to be added to the speakers' list to speak by Zoom or telephone. This meeting will occur in a virtual setting and attending in person is not possible. Please note that public participation is where you can speak to Standing Committees about general matters. To register as a speaker for public participation:
To register as a speaker:
• Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
• Phone 902.490.6732 (Mon-Fri, 8:30 am-4:30 pm)
• Fax 902.490.4208
In your message, state that you wish to speak during Public Participation at the June 24, 2021 Transportation Standing Committee meeting, and give your name, community of residence, email address, and phone number. For further information regarding public participation visit Communicating with Halifax Regional Council [https://www.halifax.ca/city-hall/regional-council/communicating-halifax-regional-council#] and expand the heading for "Public Participation - Community Councils and Standing Committees".
PLEASE NOTE: All virtual meetings will be audio and/or video recorded for the purpose of creating a record of the proceedings. If you do not wish to be recorded, do not sign up to speak; you can provide a written submission via email@example.com.
In accordance with the July 29, 2020 direction of the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing under section 14 of the Emergency Management Act, this meeting is being held virtually. Draft minutes of this meeting will be made available on halifax.ca.
1. CALL TO ORDER
2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – April 29, 2021
3. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS
4. BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF THE MINUTES
5. CALL FOR DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
6. MOTIONS OF RECONSIDERATION – NONE
7. MOTIONS OF RESCISSION – NONE
8. CONSIDERATION OF DEFERRED BUSINESS – NONE
9. NOTICES OF TABLED MATTERS – NONE
10. CORRESPONDENCE, PETITIONS & DELEGATIONS
10.3 Presentations – NONE
11. INFORMATION ITEMS BROUGHT FORWARD – NONE
12.1.1 Case 22257: Regional Plan Review – Themes and Directions Presentation [PDF]
12.1.2 Amendments to Administrative Order Number 12 Respecting the Appointment of the Traffic Authority -- Appointment of Traffic Authority and Deputy Traffic Authorities [PDF]
That the Transportation Standing Committee recommend that Halifax Regional Council adopt the amendments to Administrative Order 12, Respecting the Appointment of the Traffic Authority as set out in Attachment 2 of this report to appoint Brad Anguish, P.Eng., as the Traffic Authority.
12.1.3 Proposed By-law for Parking and Immobilization on Private Property [PDF]
That the Transportation Standing Committee recommend that Halifax Regional Council adopt By-law V-200, the Vehicle Immobilization By-law, as set out in Attachment A of the staff report dated May 28, 2021.
- Staff Presentation [PDF]
12.1.4 Street Art in the Right-of-Way [PDF]
That the Transportation Standing Committee recommend that Halifax Regional Council:
1. Direct the Chief Administrative Officer to continue the use of street art, where appropriate, as part of Tactical Urbanism projects, subject to approval of the Traffic Authority.
2. Direct the Chief Administrative Officer to continue allowing for art on sidewalks, subject to applicable by-laws, provided appropriate materials are used to ensure adequate slip resistance; and,
3. Direct the Chief Administrative Officer to continue to only allow the installation of street art placemaking on lower volume roadways, except under extraordinary circumstances as approved by the Engineer, as outlined in the discussion section of this report.
12.2 ACTIVE TRANSPORTATION ADVISORY COMMITTEE
12.2.1 Short Term Safety Measures Request at Joseph Howe Drive and Chain of Lakes Trail [PDF]
THAT the Transportation Standing Committee:
1. Request the designer present to the Active Transportation Advisory Committee when there is a design available, regarding the intersection where Joseph Howe Drive and the Chain of Lakes Trail meet;
2. Urgently request a staff report on, and implementation of, short term safety measures for active transportation until the final project is implemented; and
3. The correspondence be emailed to the project designer and the Transportation Standing Committee.
12.3 MEMBERS OF THE TRANSPORTATION STANDING COMMITTEE – NONE
14. IN CAMERA (IN PRIVATE) - NONE
15. ADDED ITEMS
16. NOTICES OF MOTION
17. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
18. DATE OF NEXT MEETING – July 22, 2021 at 1:00 p.m.
1. Information report from the Legislative Assistant dated June 16, 2021 re: Presentation Requests [PDF]
2. Information report from Dave Reage dated March 2, 2021 re: Policy on Transit Boarding of Children and Staff from Schools, Daycares and Preschools [PDF]
3. Information report to May 20, 2021 Community Planning and Economic Development Standing Committee Special Meeting titled “Case 22257: Regional Plan Review – Themes and Directions Report” [PDF] (Large 58 MB)
4. Shape Your City Halifax.ca Regional Plan Review Webpage
For further information regarding this meeting, please contact Andrea Lovasi-Wood, Legislative Assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org or 902-490-6732.