Time: 1:00 p.m.
Location: Council Chamber, 3rd Floor City Hall, 1841 Argyle Street, Halifax
Minutes: March 30, 2023 Transportation Standing Committee Minutes (PDF)
1. CALL TO ORDER AND LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – January 26, 2023
3. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND DELETIONS
4. BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF THE MINUTES
5. CALL FOR DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
6. MOTIONS OF RECONSIDERATION – NONE
7. MOTIONS OF RESCISSION – NONE
8. CONSIDERATION OF DEFERRED BUSINESS – NONE
9. NOTICES OF TABLED MATTERS – NONE
10. CORRESPONDENCE, PETITIONS & DELEGATIONS
10.3 Presentations – None
11. INFORMATION ITEMS BROUGHT FORWARD – NONE
12.1.1 Hammonds Plains Road and Lucasville Road – Supplementary Report
(i) Supplementary Staff Report [PDF]
(ii) Staff Report [PDF]
That the Transportation Standing Committee recommend that Halifax Regional Council direct the Chief Administrative Officer to:
1. Prioritize short-term operational improvements to the signalized intersection, including upgrades to the traffic controller cabinet and vehicle detection, along with updated signal timing plans; and
2. Ensure appropriate, longer-term intersection modifications, including accommodation of pedestrians, cyclists, and transit, are appropriately planned for through the development review process.
12.1.2 Halifax Transit 2022/23 Q2 KPI Report [PDF]
That the Transportation Standing Committee accept the report dated February 9, 2023.
12.1.3 Spring Garden Road Transit Priority Corridor [PDF]
That the Transportation Standing Committee recommend that Halifax Regional Council approve the implementation approach developed as described in the staff report dated March 28, 2023 for a transit priority corridor pilot project along Spring Garden Road, between South Park Street and Queen Street.
12.2 MEMBERS OF STANDING COMMITTEE
12.2.1 Councillor Cleary [PDF]
That the Transportation Standing Committee request a staff report on the development of a structured and proactive approach to plan, design, and evaluate infrastructure projects that is consistent with the objectives of the Integrated Mobility Plan (IMP). This approach would be based on the Complete Streets hierarchy of priorities as outlined in the IMP’s inverted triangle (IMP Pg. 56) for all complete streets infrastructure projects involving pedestrians, cyclists, transit users, goods movement, and transportation by private vehicle, with appropriate weight given to the equity servicing population as outlined in the IMP Pillars. It would also consider the type of street and its functional role as a ‘Link’ and/or ‘Place’ in the transportation network.
13. MOTIONS - NONE
14. IN CAMERA (IN PRIVATE)
Council may rise and go into a private In Camera session, in accordance with Section 19 of the Halifax Regional Municipality Charter, for the purpose of dealing with the following:
14.1 In Camera (In Private) Minutes – December 15, 2022
That the In Camera (In Private) minutes of December 15, 2022 be approved as circulated.
15. ADDED ITEMS
16. NOTICES OF MOTION
17. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
18. DATE OF NEXT MEETING – April 27, 2023