Time: 1:00 p.m.
Location: Council Chambers, 3rd Floor City Hall, 1841 Argyle Street, Halifax
Minutes: May 18, 2023 Transportation Standing Committee Draft Minutes (PDF)
UPDATED - May 16, 2023 at 9:30 a.m.
1. CALL TO ORDER AND LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – April 27, 2023
3. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND
4. BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF THE MINUTES
5. CALL FOR DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
6. MOTIONS OF RECONSIDERATION – NONE
7. MOTIONS OF RESCISSION – NONE
8. CONSIDERATION OF DEFERRED BUSINESS
8.1 Almon Street AAA Bikeway Extension
(i) Briefing Note [PDF]
(ii) Staff report [PDF]
That the Transportation Standing Committee recommend that Halifax Regional Council:
1. Direct the Chief Administrative Officer to monitor and evaluate use of the approved all ages and abilities east-west cycling corridor across the north end of the Halifax peninsula for a minimum of two years post-implementation and provide an update to the Transportation Standing Committee by 2026; and
2. Direct the Chief Administrative Officer to initiate a functional planning process to evaluate options to provide an all ages abilities cycling connection from Almon Street at Agricola Street to Gottingen Street as described in Table 1 of the Discussion section of the staff report dated April 19, 2023.
9. NOTICES OF TABLED MATTERS – NONE
10. CORRESPONDENCE, PETITIONS & DELEGATIONS
10.3 Presentations – None
11. INFORMATION ITEMS BROUGHT FORWARD – NONE
12.1.1 2022/23 Q3 Halifax Transit KPI Report [PDF]
That the Transportation Standing Committee accept the report dated May 15, 2023.
12.2 MEMBERS OF STANDING COMMITTEE
12.2.1 Councillor Mason [PDF]
That the Transportation Standing Committee request a staff report regarding the process to request that all school zones in HRM be designated 30 kph zones on a permanent basis.
12.2.2 Councillor Mason [PDF]
That the Transportation Standing Committee request a staff report regarding establishing criteria for a pilot project to close school zones to vehicle traffic during pick and drop off where the road configuration would allow it.
12.2.3 Councillor Mason [PDF]
That the Transportation Standing Committee request a staff report regarding implanting a pilot to designate certain main streets as vehicle free on Sundays during the summer months (June-August).
14. IN CAMERA (IN PRIVATE) – NONE
15. ADDED ITEMS
15.1 Councillor Lovelace [PDF]
That the Transportation Standing Committee request a staff report that outlines the process to request authority from the Province of Nova Scotia to establish and enforce reasonable and consistent traffic speeds in private commercial or public parking lots to prioritize pedestrian safety in HRM.
16. NOTICES OF MOTION
17. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
18. DATE OF NEXT MEETING – June 22, 2023
1. Memorandum from the Legislative Assistant dated May 8, 2023 re: Request to Presentation to the Transportation Standing Committee – None [PDF]
2. Active Transportation Advisory Committee Annual Report 2022 [PDF]
For further information regarding this meeting, please contact Catie Campbell, Legislative Assistant, at Catherine.firstname.lastname@example.org or 782-641-0796
To submit correspondence, email email@example.com
More information: https://www.halifax.ca/city-hall/regional-council/communicating-halifax-regional-council